Pup not eating recommended amount

Pup not eating recommended amount

sitsy

QUOTE 8/14/2011 10:03:31 AM
Hi, I'm just in day two of having Gus home with us. He's a Saint Bernard (7 weeks old as of tomorrow).

He is suppose to be eating three to four meals a day, with a total of 6 cups of high grade dog food.

I can barely get him to finish 1 cup per meal. I'm hopping it's just being in a new home and he will eat more once he settles in. But I am worried.

He's drinking his water fine and is a pee and poop machine. So that's all pretty normal. He's gentle, playful and affectionate...oh yah and STUBORN lol.
kathystone

QUOTE 8/14/2011 5:52:09 PM
 First off , he should still be with his mom for another week. It is illegal to sell pups under 8 weeks of age in most states. One of the reasons for that is the pup may or may not have developed his own immunity to parvo, difstemper, or other maladies yet. Many breeders don't give the first set of shots until the pup is 6 weeks old and then give the second shot shortly before they send them off to a new home.

Second, whenever a dog changes homes, dog foods, water, or travels much, they can be susseptable to coccidiosis. It is an internal parasite found normally in the intestinal tract in small numbers. However, when a dog is stress, they can multiply and cause lack of appetite, and diarhea. It is something to go to the vet about as it can be fatal.

Third, it is people who are spiteful and refuse to eat out of spite not dogs. I would see what his stool looks like and then try adding some chicken broth to his wet food. NOT A WHOLE CAN. Just enough to moisten it abit and give it some flavor. If he still won't eat, then I might take his temperature to see what is going on. If it is over 100.5-101.5 I would go see the vet.( Some dogs are naturally hotter than others. That is why the difference.)  
sitsy

QUOTE 8/14/2011 9:01:05 PM
I'm in Canada, I have spoken with our vet and a few local breeders that I know. All are saying that it is not uncommon for larger breed dogs to go to homes a bit early if the mother dog is refusing to feed the pups, which is the case here.

He's stools are well formed and numerous through out the day. They are also quite normal in colour.

At feeding time, he tucks in to the food with great gusto, but loses interest when he's only half way through. His energy level is good.

We do have a vet appoint schedualed for tomorrow.

kathystone

QUOTE 8/15/2011 8:06:17 AM
 Is this the dog with the heart murmur? 
sitsy

QUOTE 8/15/2011 4:40:55 PM
yes it is. The grade 1 murmur.
sitsy

QUOTE 8/20/2011 5:54:16 AM
Just to update, we had Gus to the vet last week, he had a listen and asked the other vets to listen as well. Non of them could hear a murmur. YAY!

We will of course continue to take him in for regular checks.

Gus has finally found his appetite. He is now eating the recommended amount of a top quality puppy food. I am greatly relieved.
kathystone

QUOTE 8/20/2011 3:18:19 PM
EXCELLENT ON BOTH FRONTS! He may have just been off his feed for the first bit from nerves. A new home, environment or even water will do that to some dogs. Saints are great pets!~
Post Reply New Topic