Vegan Diet?

Vegan Diet?

alldogsbigandsmall.com

QUOTE 8/6/2009 8:43:39 PM
Naturals, Organic, Holistic, I feel are certainly  wise choices for our canine companions; I do however have my doubts to the Vegan Diet trend that was recently in the news, no meats, no dairy, no eggs? I don't think this is the natural way of the wild but rather a human's lifestyle choice being imposed on their dog any other thoughts out there, is anybody feeding this, I am curious?

jchamp52

QUOTE 8/7/2009 3:18:34 AM

Quote alldogsbigandsmall.com:

Naturals, Organic, Holistic, I feel are certainly  wise choices for our canine companions; I do however have my doubts to the Vegan Diet trend that was recently in the news, no meats, no dairy, no eggs? I don't think this is the natural way of the wild but rather a human's lifestyle choice being imposed on their dog any other thoughts out there, is anybody feeding this, I am curious?

It was so much simpler when there were only 5 or 6 brands of dog food on the market.  Every time I pick up dog food I am always worried it isn't the best for my dogs.  But I have heard it is just as bad to keep switching the feed around.

I was on Canidae until they added more grain to the feed then my dogs didn't seem to like it as well, or do as well on it. 

Blue Buffalo was OK except for all the little nuggets, my dogs seemed to hate them (naturally since they was where the good stuff was supposed to be). 

California Natural seems to be pretty good, and the dogs like Eagle Pack and Royal Canin also. 

I raise Chihuahua's so I also try to find the brands that carry the small bite. 

I approve of giving veggies,  I just find it difficult to believe a diet with no/low meat content will be better for the dogs.

I guess.....spoken like a true HUMAN.

engsonb21

QUOTE 8/7/2009 11:04:30 PM
Dogs are carnivores, they need meat.

bsm2009

QUOTE 8/8/2009 12:42:28 PM
I too am uncertain that dogs can live a long healthy life without traditional forms of protein.  However, please understand tha a Guardian attempting to raise their animals on vegan diets are not supercillious, shallow people "attempting to impose a human  lifestyle" on their animal companions. It is a conscientious Spiritual endeavor to insure the least amount of suffering (i.e. the slaughter of animals) to the food source, and avoid incurring further kharma for participating in said slaughter.  If you eat it, then you have participated in the slaughter of that animal.  And by one remove, if you feed meat to your animals, you are still participating.

The Masters teach us that Every Being has a soul: trees, rocks, plants, animals, fish, humans.  Of course we must eat, and eating plant life, incurs the least amount of suffering (there is still suffering for the plant), and thus the least amount of kharma. 
dazie

QUOTE 8/8/2009 1:33:58 PM
I receently found a dog food that I am incredibly happy with. It is a small company that seems to really care about what they put in their food. They sell organic food and natural food. I first bought the natural kind and one of my dogs wasn't that interested in it. I emaiiled the company and they refunded me and gave me coupons for their organic food. I tried the organic and my pets loved it! They have treats and canned and dry food. Their name is Castor & Pollux.

edited Sorry you can't post their site here. 

maoseger1010

ena@.

QUOTE 9/7/2009 12:35:24 AM

Quote alldogsbigandsmall.com:

Well i think that vegan diet is a very bad idea because dogs need meat and protein and calcium.But it is a swell idea so you should try it 4 a while.Jugding on how your dog likes it.
hoov444

QUOTE 10/3/2009 2:18:39 AM

Quote bsm2009:

I too am uncertain that dogs can live a long healthy life without traditional forms of protein.  However, please understand tha a Guardian attempting to raise their animals on vegan diets are not supercillious, shallow people "attempting to impose a human  lifestyle" on their animal companions. It is a conscientious Spiritual endeavor to insure the least amount of suffering (i.e. the slaughter of animals) to the food source, and avoid incurring further kharma for participating in said slaughter.  If you eat it, then you have participated in the slaughter of that animal.  And by one remove, if you feed meat to your animals, you are still participating.

The Masters teach us that Every Being has a soul: trees, rocks, plants, animals, fish, humans.  Of course we must eat, and eating plant life, incurs the least amount of suffering (there is still suffering for the plant), and thus the least amount of kharma. 
I applaud your concern as to how we as humans treat animals! Genuinely!

But please, read a few articles that are backed up by honest scientific research regarding the nutrition of dogs. Their digestive systems are not human, they are canine.

Yes, I did note your first comment addressing your doubts about lack of traditional forms of protein.

My point being, you cannot apply human dietary requirements & human morals regarding such to dogs! If somebody does not wish to feed a dog because they are participating in the slaughter of other animals ... THEN DON"T TAKE ON THE RESPONSIBILITY OF CARING FOR A DOG! ... Sorry to yell, but it drives me crazy when obviously caring folks such as yourself try to stay on the fence about this issue because they are trying to be "nice"! Bullpucky. You only encourage those folks who do not do their homework & therefore are ignorant of canine nutrition to slowly starve their dog into disease & health problems.

Your first comment stated the truth! Stand up for that truth in no uncertain terms.

I also happen to agree with your other philosophy but I apply it to myself not my dogs. 

kmallari270

QUOTE 11/24/2009 8:37:43 PM
I found an incredible article online from PETA, a very credible site if you ask me.

Source: Meatless Meals for Dogs and Cats

milohomer

QUOTE 2/18/2010 11:41:12 PM
I agree dogs are carnivores. My dogs love meat.

vitahound

QUOTE 6/30/2010 4:21:02 AM

The appeal of organic is the direct health benefits to ourpets, beyond that as indicated by this article is the effect the manufacturing process has on the environment.   With this in mind do a little research to see where the food you are considering is being processed, if it’s being imported from another country consider finding an organic food being manufactured closer to where you live.  Regulation in other countries may allow suppliers to make unfounded statements about being organic and of course the transportation of a product like dog food is very inefficient. www.VitaHound.com has discovered many foods labeled organic and natural being imported for countries like Uruguay with no nutrient analysis documentation.

cannonfarms

QUOTE 11/23/2010 2:07:46 PM
Its been a while since I have been on this site, so I do not know if the mods are the same but this site was previously allowed.

www.rawfed.com/myths

the first dog food ever was made without meat and it didnt take long for dogs to start dropping dead. Dogs and cats lack the digestive enzymes to extract anything form vegetable matter. Logically these dogs should not survive and even though they are now, I bet that it takes a toll in the long run. I respect people that want to go vegan, we have the flat grinding teeth to do so, but dogs and cats have pointed meat tearing bone crushing teeth that GOD/NATURE gave them and personally I have observed that its not a good thing most of the time when humans try to triumph over nature

Post Reply New Topic