Dog anxiety

Dog anxiety

amm86

QUOTE 10/22/2012 2:45:51 AM
We just recently inherited a Pyrenees he is about 3 years old. The people who had him before kept him as an "inside dog" That was originally our plan but do not know what to do with his anxiety. When they left they would always put him outside on his chain. We have a big fenced in backyard and would like to let run around back there when we leave but afraid of him running away. They said if he ever got off his leash he would be gone. I'm afrai of him jumping our fence. Anyways so when he was staying inside I let him stay in the house and when we returned he chewed the door frames. I also have tried putting him in a large dog crate when we returned he rubbed his nose on it bc there was dry blood on the outside of the little peep outs. I have a more open type crate we tried this but I've noticed like as soon as he gets put in this he starts shaking and whining like he is terrified! I feel bad for leaving him in one but I can't hve him tearing the house up. When we return and he's in the open crate he is covered I  drool and smells like a wet dog. The only thing we hve left is to chain him up like he was uses to and this consist of him being sorry from digging and rolling around in dirt. So that leads to him having to stay outside because he already has a skin allergy and can't only have one bath a week and he always ends up stinking. At night we put him in his open cage in the garage since it is getting colder and he whines forever! Then stops and then starts again, I'm down to my last option of giving him away he can not be a inside dog bc he stinks and messes up the house. What can I do for this anxiety he is having I know he is in a place but how much longer can this go on we have had him for about 4 weeks. 
kathystone

QUOTE 10/22/2012 6:25:38 AM
POOR DOG!  First, you can bathe him daily if you use a non detergent shampoo.  Take him to a groomer and have him bathed and brushed out so you will have a clean slate to start with, Be SURE they do NOT use dawn dish soap as their shampoo. It dries the skin out too much. Ideally they will use a medicated shampoo like Kelco UltraMD. When you get him home use a topical flea treatment so there are no evil beasties crawling and biting him.

Next, can you leave him in the garage when you leave without him being in a cage? Imagine having claustrophobia and someone sets you in a closed box. Another option would be to buy a very large igloo dog house and put it out in the back yard. If your yard is fenced, let him roam in  that. Let him show you he might run off, don't just assume it. These dogs are working dogs and need a job to do. They are bred for keeping an eye on livestock. Can you get him a playmate? A smaller active dog,preferrably female as the males are very territorial would give him something to do while you are gone. Then they both could be in the house when you are home.

amm86

QUOTE 10/22/2012 10:22:35 AM
The vet said I only could bathe him once a week he has like a skin allergy he has to take Benadryl along with itching medicine and an antibiotic for like hotspots that he had already before we got him. We ended up getting that once a month flea pill also because I didn't want fleas in the house. We haven't had a problem at fleas but he is always biting scratching and I think it's because of his skin allergy and anxiety together! I feel so bad but my husband said if he started tearing up the house the he is gone. The thing about bathing him daily it takes so much time to actually get him completely dry that he will still smell like a wet dog and its practically worthless bc when we go outside which is often he rolls around like a puppy and is so playful. He loves being outside its just I don't know hat to do with him at night really and when we are gone.
kathystone

QUOTE 10/22/2012 3:06:51 PM
 If you use a non detergent shampoo you can bathe him daily. He will continue to have allergies if you do not find the cause. What are you feeding? Dog food with soy or wheat can cause allergic reactions.  Some cleaning products also will trigger a reachtion. You could shave him down since he lives in the house anyway and that will help his skin to heal since the fungus/bacteria will have less surface to live on. You might also see if there is a rescue for big dogs in your area.
amm86

QUOTE 10/22/2012 4:55:39 PM
Where can you find a non detergent shampoo? Any recommendations? Also what do you mean find a rescue? So of I shave him and bathe him daily I still hve to leave and take the kids too school how can I help with the anxiety an where could I keep him? He shakes tremendously an slobbers when he's in a cage he can't run around loose in the garage we have a boat and heaven forbid he chew on that I would get thrown out with him, lol I don't mind shaving and giving him a bath but with it getting colder he would freeze outside I that's where we ha to put him everytime we leave since the cage is pretty much out of the question.
kathystone

QUOTE 10/22/2012 5:25:13 PM
 Kelco makes some great non detergent shampoos. Google " kelco shampoo." They mix 50 to 1 so are very economical. Can you leave him in your backyard with a dog house? I understand his fear of being enclosed. ( ME TOO! LOL) What about buying him a dog run? It could be put on your patio along with a dog house so he would be enclosed in a larger area and safe as well.

There are certain groups of people who support their breed by taking in homeless dogs. Many reputable breeders and breed clubs support rescues as well. That would be another alternative to putting him to sleep or just "getting rid" of him.
Post Reply New Topic