Part of being a dog owner

Part of being a dog owner

oaklandeasy

QUOTE 12/19/2011 2:49:59 PM
Part of being a dog owner, is doing all the research that is necessary to make your new friend happy and healthy in his/her new home. That research should always include checking out the breeder or store where you're "buying" your new friend.

Check around to find out whether or not the place you're buying the dog from is running a puppy mill or not. Most all pet stores who sell pets get their dogs from puppy mills who don't care how many dogs die to make sure you get the puppy that you want. Most breeders are equally unscrupulous. Do your homework. If you want a dog really bad; especially your first dog, it is highly suggested that you get one from the pound or a rescue organization.

They are filled with unwanted dogs, of all ages and breeds, who were purchased (or not) by people who were never supposed to be dog owners. Be honest with yourself. Do you really think you're responsible enough to own a dog? If not, don't set your new friend up for sadness. Think about somebody other than yourself.
sophia_dave101

QUOTE 1/21/2013 1:16:24 AM
Owning a dog can be a great pleasure but it can also be quite a

distressing experience. Sharing your time and your home with a cheerful,

happy and sociable canine adds quality to your life - provided you are a

doggy person. As a first time dog owner you will have to make certain

adjustments to your lifestyle and the way you spend your time.
kathystone

QUOTE 1/21/2013 9:48:25 PM
 I am so sad that people believe ALL breeders are bad and ALL rescues are good. I run a rescue. I work with alot of great breeders and help them place theri retired dogs. Most of the breeders I know haev spacious dog runs with inside and outside areas for their animals. They are heated in the winter and air conditioned in the winter. Additionally the dogs enjoy daily play sessions adn even a swimming pool in summer. They are fed a very well balanced dog food like IAMS or Royal Canin. These dogs transition to homes when they are retired with no problems.
 On the other side of the coin, I have dealt with rescues who are in it for the money. They have a sob story and beseach the public to help pat for little Fifi's surgery. In many cases, they are a scam like the HSUS, which does NOT run, financially support or donate to any shelters.  You can get sick dogs from shelters and rescues more freqyuently than from good breeders because there is a volime of new dogs coming in daily whereas a breeder usually has a closed population.
 So before you start to sing the praise of shelters and damn all breeders think twice.

ramirezdianne513

QUOTE 1/23/2013 11:20:52 PM
Owning a dog is not just pure fun, it also entails responsibilities on
the part of the owner. These loyal canine friends depend on their owner
for food, love, training, and more. If you are considering becoming the
most popular and model dog owner in your neighborhood, learn the
essential ways from this article and be the best dog owner that you can
be.
loverpuppy13

QUOTE 1/24/2013 10:59:08 PM
There are many people who dream of owning a dog for the first time.
Whatever the reason, owning a dog for the first time is more complex
than just feeding time. Dogs are pack animals and are used to living in a
community.

dihart

QUOTE 1/28/2013 12:24:38 AM

Quote kathystone:

I am so sad that people believe ALL breeders are bad and ALL rescues are good. I run a rescue. I work with alot of great breeders and help them place theri retired dogs. Most of the breeders I know haev spacious dog runs with inside and outside areas for their animals. They are heated in the winter and air conditioned in the winter. Additionally the dogs enjoy daily play sessions adn even a swimming pool in summer. They are fed a very well balanced dog food like IAMS or Royal Canin. These dogs transition to homes when they are retired with no problems.
 On the other side of the coin, I have dealt with rescues who are in it for the money. They have a sob story and beseach the public to help pat for little Fifi's surgery. In many cases, they are a scam like the HSUS, which does NOT run, financially support or donate to any shelters.  You can get sick dogs from shelters and rescues more freqyuently than from good breeders because there is a volime of new dogs coming in daily whereas a breeder usually has a closed population.
 So before you start to sing the praise of shelters and damn all breeders think twice.

agree totally

Post Reply New Topic