how to get a dog to play with toys?

how to get a dog to play with toys?

ryan23

QUOTE 9/9/2011 12:32:33 PM
I have a 2 year old catauhula cur that i just got from the aminal shelter about 4 months ago. Im having a hard time with getting him to play ball or play with any types of toys. The only toy he will play with his is treat ball and he as all the treats out in like a minute.
sitsy

QUOTE 9/11/2011 7:54:17 AM
We have a ten week old saint bernard, he plays with chew toys mostly because he's teething. I bought him a BIG ball for out in the back yard. It took him three outings in the yard before he showed any interest in the ball. I just kept working at it. Playing didn't seem to come naturally to him. Now he hits and chases the ball all over the yard, but it took work and time. He loves playing tug of war with his rope toy, but shows no interest in fetch yet so we are still working on it. Introduce your dog to new places and take your dog to dog parks so they can socialize with other dogs. Our Gus has picked up alot of play behaviors from other dogs this way. Hope this helps.
jchamp52

QUOTE 6/7/2012 4:25:20 PM

Quote ryan23:

I have a 2 year old catauhula cur that i just got from the aminal shelter about 4 months ago. Im having a hard time with getting him to play ball or play with any types of toys. The only toy he will play with his is treat ball and he as all the treats out in like a minute.
If your guy came from an animal shelter there is no way to know what his life was before you got him. If he was left to fend for himself, the matter of getting food may have been his priority. He may not even know how to play or if it is something that is allowed. Introduce him to play like you would a young puppy, let him get used to the idea that he is allowed to play and will not have to worry about getting his next meal.
Post Reply New Topic