Should I adopt?

Should I adopt?

niffer86

QUOTE 8/10/2011 11:37:04 PM
My husband and I are considering getting our first dog together. He had them as a child but this will be my first.  I am retired so am able to stay home but am looking for a small dog for companionship.  Our 17 year old daughter passed away 7 years ago and our oldest is now married and out of the house.   A friend of mine has a 7 month old yorkie poo that they have offered us.  They bought her a few weeks ago for their 10 yr old daughter who had been begging for 2 years for a dog but now realizes she doesn't want the responsibility of her even though she says she loves her.  First pictures didn't show the cutest pup so I went over to see her for myself.  She is a skinny, tiny 3 lb puppy.  Did not bark when she saw me even though I was a stranger and just snuggled in my lap.  Appears to be very mellow at this point, but I have also seen her run and she's fast!   They tell me she's doing well with potty training.  Stays in crate all day and holds it till morning when she will need to go out a few times.  Up to date on all shots and vet says she's healthy.  I don't want a barker....which she doesn't appear to be, but is that something that could change?  I'm also concerned with her size.  She is so scrawny, even though adorable in some ways.  Any advice of what I should be looking for before we commit?  They have agreed to gift her to us because they just want her to go to a good home.  Most upfront expenses have been done with the exception of spaying....which we will do.  I want to make the right choice and being my first I'm a bit nervous.  She's not as cute as I'd like but her temperment is making up for that right now,  Question....how much will that change and will spaying change her personality? 

Appreciate any advice you could offer.  Would I be doing the right thing?  Thanks!

kathystone

QUOTE 8/11/2011 8:38:45 AM
 First, let me thank you for thinking about what you are doing and not jumping into pet ownership.  I run a small dog rescue so I see alot of that happening.( "I did not know a great dane would be so big!") I would take a stool smaple to my vet to check for worms. The fact the dog is real scrawny and not a hyper maniac concerns me. However, it could be the food, the dog's metabolism and so much more. Yorkies can also suffer from hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. It is just real common in very tiny dogs, but by 7 months they usually have outgrown it. You may also want to check her teeth. Sometimes when they are going through teething, usually 3-5 months but some are different, they stop eating much like a human child.

If you do adopt her, spaying is a good idea. It does not make the dogs fat and lazy but it does slow down the metabolism in some dogs. That means less food.  There are low cost clinics in many areas of the counry. Of course, there are also fat cat vets who charge $400 for lazer surgery so the dog won't have a bikini line. Are you laughing yet?

Basic care is monthly flea treatment and wormer for internal parasites like heartworm and tapeworms.  There are several products on the market that are worth as much as tits on a bull as my grandpa used to say, but there are others that are good.  You mat be lucky enough not to have fleas or ticks where you live so then it is a moot point.

Watch for tartar on your new dog's teeth. I use a butterknife to scrape it off on the older dogs. I also give them rawhide once a week and that keeps the build up down to a minimum. Dental diseases can lead to all sorts of other problems so it is better to nip it in the bud befroe it starts. I ahve severl dogs in their late teens and 20s so I must be doing something right.

On the plus side, if you watch the crime shows on TV you will notice the ones who are robbed, murdered etc are usually families that don't have a dog. Even a little dog can bark a warning so you can grab the shot gun. The companionship and love a dog gives more than outweighs any cost in dollars. Scientifically, a dog can help lower blood pressure and ease  hypertension as well as help with overcoming depression. Besides, if you have someone you want to get rid of all you have to do is invite them over for dinner. After dinner put the dishes on the floor and let the dog wash them. Then put the dishes back in the cupboard. See how gast they leave never to return again! 
janetsue

QUOTE 8/24/2011 12:42:00 PM
I am a breeder, and I am for adopting or buying. I am glad you are looking into both ways. It sounds to me you need to do more research on what type of dog you want. Just because you want a small dog does not necessarily mean you want  yorkie, but may a different small breed. All small breeds have different temperaments, and different personalities for each dog.

You should not get a dog you are not happy with, you should do the research to see what breed you will both be happy with. I do not like AKC as a kennel club, but you can find good information there on different breeds of dogs. Go to akc.ogr then go to the small breed area.

I hope I did not post this to late and I was able to help. 

dihart

QUOTE 11/3/2011 10:00:09 PM
MODERATOR NEEDS TO REMOVE THE POST FROM  yangpeter123
mdrich4

QUOTE 11/4/2011 5:36:52 PM
My husband and I already have a very healthy, lovable, playful, active 3 yr. old Yorkie (AnnaBelle) and she is Queen of our house.  However, I work from home and AnnaBelle gets bored.  She seems to think I need to be in the floor with her always playing tug-o-war and such....lol.  So, we are looking to adopt a Yorkie "friend" for her.  We prefer one that is at least semi-house broke and has a sense of being groomed.  Hence, I have the idea of adopting a show dog that is a younger retired dog or maybe just did not make it in the show ring.  I am desperately looking for leads on how to find sweet lil brother or sister for AnnaBelle.
dihart

QUOTE 11/7/2011 10:27:02 PM

Quote dihart:

WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS?
dsn0207

QUOTE 6/7/2012 4:47:59 PM

Quote dihart:

WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS?
again they are back

sophia_dave101

QUOTE 1/18/2013 1:38:48 AM
If you're thinking about adopting your first dog, there are some things
you might want to know before you bring your dog home. What if I could
show you a two-step plan that would give you some insights into dog
behavior while you wait for your dog? If you're a novice when it comes
to canine behavior, this article is for you.
Post Reply New Topic