Rottweilers

Rottweilers

birdygirl

QUOTE 4/8/2011 10:33:02 PM
Hi! I was considering if I should get a Rottweiler. I live with my family, two adopted Lovebirds, and our spayed 5-year-old Miniature Schnauzer. I'm knowledgable about Rotties, and could exercise him (I'd like a jogging companion), offer him good care, and train him (I'm hoping that I could compete in obedience). Basically, I'm a pretty good match for a Rott. But here's the catch: I'm 11. My mom and dad would pay for food and vet bills, and I'm a very mature kid according to my mom and people in general. Do you think a Rott would be a good match for me?
kathystone

QUOTE 4/12/2011 9:24:05 PM
 Sounds like a plan to me as long as your parents are alright with it. Rotts are wonderful dogs but do require a loving but firm hand as pups to get them off on the right foot so to speak. A crate is a necessity until they are old enough not to eat the couch. It also acts as his "room" when you cannot watch him or when you are traveling. When company comes over make him be polite! Don't throw him in the crate. Rotts are very protective so nip any inapropriate aggression in the bud. A firm "NO!" with a scowl will do in most cases.  A great watch dog allowns strangers to come in the front door when you allow them in but will stop and pin an intruder who is unwelcome. They do it naturally so you don't need to encourage it. Rather teach him to be polite in all aspects of behavior whether at a park, or in the home. Good luck!
birdygirl

QUOTE 4/15/2011 11:10:36 PM
OK! Thanks for your Rottie care tips!

Post Reply New Topic