Puppies ready

Puppies ready

luca1st

QUOTE 11/29/2010 7:59:00 PM
Is there a certain age that the puppies should be before they're taken from their mother? Some say 8 weeks some say 10.
jchamp52

QUOTE 11/30/2010 3:53:56 AM

Quote luca1st:

Is there a certain age that the puppies should be before they're taken from their mother? Some say 8 weeks some say 10.
That is a question that will get you several different answers, as it will usually depend on the breed/size of dog you have.  I never wean at a set/specific age, (note: I raise Chihuahua).

With such a tiny breed it would be impossible to set a specific age, because they are usually so tiny anyway.... Granted by the time the puppies are 8 weeks of age the milk the mom produces will not have the nourishment value it did at 2 weeks of age.

As a general rule I wean based on health of my puppies. My weaning/play area (where the puppies are moved at 5 or 6 weeks of age) is designed so the mom can get in and out  BUT the puppies are not able to.

That allows the mom to escape from babies that have teeth like little chain saws.

If one puppy is extra delicate/tiny I will allow it to remain with the mom until they are at least 12 weeks of age (this is for security and courage * NOT for nourishment).

I also take most of my weaning clues from the moms, they usually have a very firm idea when they have had enough of caring for the babies.

Also note some moms are NOT as good as others when it comes to caring for their young, and that will be a factor in when a litter is weaned.

Thankfully most breeders have learned that just because an 8 week old puppy is much larger and weighs much more than the others in the litter.....IT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS MORE MATURE. 

mistyrun

QUOTE 12/1/2010 11:52:26 AM
It depends what breed you are raising.  I raise the big boys - Saint Bernards- and litters can be up to 13 puppies.  With a litter that size i start the babies on "puppy mash" at 3 weeks old, for mommies sake as much as anyone.  At 4 weeks they are on semi solid, and usually by 5 weeks they are onto the hard puppy kibble and pretty much weaned off mom.  but they will nurse as long as she lets them.  I often have them say goodbye to mom at 8 weeks for sure.  They are 25+ lb babies by then and def should be weaned by then.  They smaller breeds are different , i am sure
hkeane

QUOTE 12/1/2010 2:48:09 PM
I agree that it depends on type of dog and size. I raise Mini-dachshunds and many are still nursing at 10 or 11 weeks. I allow the mother to control the timing using a whelping box as described by the first post.
A lot of breeders rush the weaning and ship very young-I don't think puppies should ship alone-especially smaller breeds-until 12-14 weeks at the earliest. The temperatures can vary and it can be very stressful for them. 
sixscanecorsos

QUOTE 1/24/2011 4:15:02 PM

Quote luca1st:

8 weeks is the earliest in my opinion. In fact, in some places its actually illegal to sell or give away a pup under 8 weeks. 10-12 weeks is better, the pups benefit from being with their mom and litter mates those few extra weeks, they learn important social skills during that time. It also depends on if the pups are weaned totally off of their mother.

kathystone

QUOTE 1/24/2011 6:35:35 PM
 In his book," The new Knowledge of Dog Behavior" Clarence Pfaffenberger states that 8 weeks is actually NOT the ideal time to weean pus as they are starting to show stress when confronted with a new environment. However, by law, the earliest is 8 weeks. It is like adopting a baby. You don't want to cause any undue stress to a child at 5 years of age as for some reason that is the "golden" stage that can affect the child well into aduthood and even old age.  Before or after that point is much better.

Many tiny dogs can be stressed and go into shock from being move d from their first kennel. An inexperienced person may say teh puppy sleeps all the time. An experienced breeder would tell that person to use some nutrical as the puppy may be going into hypoglycemic shock.  This is where the buyer needs to trucst the breeder. You don't stay up all night whelping pups then nurture them for 8 weeks or more just to turn them loose for a few dollars.If your pup's breeders want to keep him or her a few more days just to be safe, please take it as the extra care they are showing and do not be offended.
lovemaltesedogs

QUOTE 1/27/2011 12:15:21 PM
Kathy is so right. It depends on the puppies, their size, and the mommy.  Most of our mommies wean on their own somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks. Our coton de tulear are then much older when they are ready for their forever homes.
Post Reply New Topic