A couple easy ways to detect SCAMMERS, YOURSELF!

A couple easy ways to detect SCAMMERS, YOURSELF!

abryan

QUOTE 6/26/2010 1:33:59 AM
Im looking for a puppy and since there is a scarce supply in my state, I started to look online.   Soon after (within an hour) I immediately had this feeling that I needed to tread carefully with these ads/breeders. Why? Simple.  Its the internet and dogs are expensive. A lot of people from like my parents generation are what i like to call  "INTERNET IGNORANT".  The prettier the site, the easier theyre fooled too.  Im good at web design. I could whip up an amazing looking breeder site even with Flash in less than a day.  So here are my tips.   

1.  Do your homework - after a couple email exhanges, talk to the breeder on the phone for a better feel.    2. If you want a puppy bad enough to spend 1000-3000 bucks, spend the extra few hundred to fly to the dog.  At least you will only be wasting a plane ticket price versus a full dog price if its a ripoff.    3. Obviously request proper papers (xrays, pedigree).  Health guarantee is just them saying ok I have taken this dog to a vet.  You want to know the Genetic HISTORY.     4.  If the breeder seems more anxious to get rid of their dog than you are to get it PROCEED WITH CAUTION.  

5.  ITS CALLED GOOGLE PEOPLE!  Type the breeders name in, do a little background checking.

jchamp52

QUOTE 6/26/2010 7:28:09 PM
What breed puppy are you looking for?  I have two beautiful male Chihuahua puppies in southeast Alabama $400. each. One year health guarantee. Champion bloodlines.

Shipping fees are an additional $300.

Breeders HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO control over the cost of shipping fees, trust me I have whined and cheesed over the cost for years, my website is chihuahuamagic.com

I currently have an add posted on this site. 

Weather permitting they will be ready to ship mid July at 11 weeks of age.

kathystone

QUOTE 6/26/2010 10:06:00 PM
 There are scams on both sides of the purchase. Believe me, I have learned not to trust most people. How about this one. " I bought a dog from you and it died and I want a refund of my vet bill as well as the purchase price of the puppy!" Except this person is not on my adoptor list and we have never had mastiff pups. We only have dogs under 20 pounds.

Better one! " Hi! I am wanting to buy (such grammar!) your dog I will mail you a money order for the amount plus shipping and my agent will come by in 3-4 days to pick up the puppy. Please CASH THE MONEY ORDER and give him $300 for the shipping. I have included an extra $200 for your trouble." Except the money order is bogus. (I took it to the post office to check and the teller said it was real. However, when the supoervisor came and checked it NOT! They kept it and turned the money order and envelope it came in over to the FBI for fraud. I made a copy of the original and the supervisor signed it.) Here is another one.

BEST FOR LAST! On a piece of paper with the words "attorney at law" in bold type letterhead.

"This letter is to inform you that you are being sued! You claimed the dog you sold my client would not shed and was housetrained. However, the  volumes of pomeranian hair shed by this dog has left my client without a proper vaccuum. The dog soils the house when my client goes to work. This has caused her to have to replace the carpet and the flooring under it.  This leter of demand can be satisfied for $10,000. We suggest you send the money immediately."

Pays to have an "as is" clause in the contract for my rescues huh! 
abryan

QUOTE 6/27/2010 3:37:53 AM
Yeah things like that Im sure happen all the time.  In response to the guy with the Chihuahas.  No thank you.
jchamp52

QUOTE 6/27/2010 4:30:33 AM

Quote abryan:

Yeah things like that Im sure happen all the time.  In response to the guy with the Chihuahas.  No thank you.
You are welcome, didn't know what breed you were looking for so I thought I would mention my babies.
Post Reply New Topic