American Canine Association

American Canine Association

chesser203

QUOTE 12/9/2009 1:59:36 PM
What exactly is ACA registration?  I have never heard of it before and I want to know if it a reputable registration.  I've researched it online and read that it's not good and a knock off of AKC registration, if so why is it not good.  Thanks for your help in advance.

kathystone

QUOTE 2/2/2010 1:39:09 AM
 Back in the early 1980s AKC decided not to register dogs that came from petshops.Since they were the only large registry around, that put a crimp in the term"with papers". So a group of breeders got together and decided to start thier own registry. Several "new and improved" registries is the results. Now, follow me here. In the 1980s it was about $20 to register a litter. ( My memory is NOT what it once was so lets do a hypothetical litter of Great Pyrs)  If there are 12 pups in a litter and  each cost $5.00 to register,  the cost to breeder would be  $80. (Notice there is no requirement that there actually BE 12 pups. In fact the mom may have even died during delivery. There is no way to verify the litter even existed much less were purebreds. Everyone was on the honor system.) Multiply that $80 by thousands of dogs having AKC registered pups and you can see it is a money making venture!

In the late 1970s there were dogs being shown that were "registered"  with AKC as Akitas. They won over the lighter weight Japanese versions. They were heavy boned, some had tails that did not touch their backs when gaited. Guess what.  St. Bernard mixed with Akita.  So much of this took place in many breeds that the AKC started DNA testing the sires.

When you buy a puppy that is a purebred, that is what you want. Most of the breeders in the commercial pet industry have cleaned up their acts so you rarely see a 40 pound yorkie.  Not all commercial dog breeders are puppy mills either.

People want puppies. If we run the reputable kennels out of the US they will go to Mexico where there are no regulations. Idealy everyone is honest. But we know that isn't true.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 2/4/2010 1:05:34 AM
These are all just opinions of course, but AKC is the oldest and most reputable registry, that holds their breeders more accountable than any other. Yes in history, people may have been able to be dishonest, but now their is DNA that doesn't lie. Ask anyone that watches MAURY. DNA is 100% and any stud siring over 5 litters lifetime is required to be DNA tested. What other registry requires that? What other Registry holds the level of dog shows? What other registry contributes as much to canine health organizations? What other registry conducts kennel inspections?

UKC is the second oldest and most reputable. The OTHERS ARE NOT WORTH THE PAPER THEY ARE WRITTEN ON. I DON"T CONSIDER THEM TO BE ANYTHING. Their papers are worthless to me, the dogs they register may as well be mixed breeds in my opinion. 

kathystone

QUOTE 2/4/2010 10:22:57 PM
 Beagle is right! Can you imagine a registry that would send you papers of a picture of your dog? How hard would it be to fake the dog even exists? None of the other regisrties confirm there are dogs in your possession. I guess it just boils down to having to trust the breeder.

As a side note, Prior to college I worked as a dog groomer for a shop in California. When a female in heat came in, the owner of the shop would put her in the bathroom wiht one of her stud dogs. Then she would send the owner a reaminder 6 weeks later. There was a note attached that "if" the female got caught shwe would gladly help place the pups and even PAY $25 each for them. A friend of hers raised poodles. She would slap papers on pups that were mixed breed and sell them out the door as purebred poodles. After an extensive investigation, AKC pulled all the papers on both parties dogs! KUDUS TO AKC! I doubt the ther registries would have done that.    
xerxey

QUOTE 2/12/2010 3:22:45 PM
Yes, they do.  In order to show a dog in an APRI dog show, at each show you MUST present a vet health certificate for each dog being shown that states it's free of an communicable disease and e

EVERY dog in that show has hair pulled for DNA to prove that this dog is who you say it is each and every time it goes in the ring.  I used to show AKC.  We had a male Dachshund that turned out to be a female when it arrived.  The reg # in the book was correct, as was the name.  Just the sex?  Not the first time the dog showed.  All you need enter is either the dog or the reg # and the rest fills in auto.  Who was playing dirty?  the AKC rep let them change it to the female.  No questions asked, and no way to prove.  APRI would have held the dog, refunded its money and waited for the DNA result.  No money had to be put up for a protest, either.  AKC wants money for any protest.  All they want is your money.

Post Reply New Topic