Which breed would be most compatible for me and my family?

Which breed would be most compatible for me and my family?

ahunter50

QUOTE 12/1/2009 4:17:39 PM
I live with my parents and my dad is talking about gettting a dog. He's thinking of getting a Lab or a Border Collie, but I don't think any of the two would be compatible with my 14-year old cat and my mom has (I think) allergies to long-haired dogs. So basically, which breed is better for me situation?
cheriegil009

QUOTE 12/1/2009 6:21:47 PM
Border Collies (BC) are high-intensity, high-drive working dogs. They require a LOT of exercise. Many BCs end up in the pound because people hardly deals with their herding instincts, car chasing and odd behaviours like guarding pots and pans?

Labs can be very powerful and playful, and could easily hurt a cat without even meaning to. Plus they shed terribly and aren't good for people with allergies.

With cats, you definitely shouldn't get a terrier!

I'd suggest going with an English Cocker Spaniel (NOT the American Cocker!) or an English Springer Spaniel or a Welsh Springer Spaniel or a Portugese Water dog or a Curly Coated Retriever or an Irish Water Spaniel.

logancreekkennel

QUOTE 12/2/2009 10:48:17 PM
Too bad he isn't interested in a Shih Tzu. They are very sweet natured and would get along great with the cat. They are very loving pets and they don't bother peoples allergies.
kmallari270

QUOTE 12/6/2009 8:02:11 PM
A chihuahua will do or a sharpei. Chihuahuas are sometimes active and they can be brought outside the house for family outings. Same with sharpeis, however, they have thick skin and they needed a cooler environment.

jbostonbaby

QUOTE 12/7/2009 12:52:15 AM
A Boston may be a good match for your family. They get along with other animals and don't irritate people with allergies. they are very intelligent and eager to please.
michaellisa

QUOTE 12/8/2009 12:37:16 PM
ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH HAVANESE? THEY ARE HYPOALLERGENIC BECAUESE THEY ARE A NONSHEDDING DOG. THEY ARE SMALL ABOUT 8 TO 12 LBS. THEY DO WELL WITH OTHER ANIMALS.
brennerandprue

QUOTE 12/15/2009 4:08:53 AM
Best do your research first before getting a dog. I found this great post/article about 19 things to consider before getting a dog.

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/choosing-a-dog-breed.html

Best of luck!

shoobythedog

QUOTE 12/26/2009 10:53:25 PM
Hmm. . This is a difficult one. There are lots of dogs out there.I'd narrow it down:

Labs

Terriors

Border Collies

Most Small Dogs

I have a dog named Shooby,he is a Cockapoo. He doesn't shed,so he's compatible with you're mother.And he's good with cats. I would say maybe just alittle training can go along way.
soniawings

QUOTE 2/24/2010 11:02:29 PM
Check out www.dogbreedinfo.com.  They have fantastic info on different breeds and include a quiz that finds a good breed for you based on activity level, allergies, etc.

No dog is truly hypoallergenic, though there are some that are better than others.  Maltese, poodles/poodle mixes (like cockapoos, labradoodles, goldendoodles, etc.) and a few others are supposedly better for allergies.  People's allergies are typically not because of long hair vs. short hair, but the type of hair, level of shedding, and dander. 

If you're open to adopting a dog, take a look at www.Petfinder.org.  You can search for dogs in your area of a certain breed (they have both mutts and purebreds), by age (if you prefer puppies or adults) and whether or not they're good with other animals, including cats.  You might be able to find the perfect dog there who really needs a good home!

Post Reply New Topic