Soon to be owner

Soon to be owner

ellie987

QUOTE 10/7/2009 3:39:27 PM
hey everyone. Me and my dad are planning on getting an irish terrier next summer or around that time. can you give me tips on how to train it and where a good cheap breeder around the chicago area is. We really want a dog but trying not to jump in blind.
webo1224

QUOTE 10/7/2009 7:15:14 PM
They are super intelligent, but can be very stubborn. Basically from what I've read they are a handful, hard to potty train, like to dig, and don't get along well with non-dog pets.  That being said, they are great with kids and very playful.

As long as you being socialization early, and start manners training you should have a great pup. Just make sure your dominate and have lots of patience. =)

coco9

QUOTE 10/9/2009 3:22:19 PM
Dogs exhibit unwanted behavior when they haven't realized their place in the pack. The most important person in their pack is you, and as the pack leader, you must help your dog get comfortable with his position. He is not the boss, you are. Most behavior problems stem from poor training techniques administered by the pack leader. As a result, dogs exhibit behavior problems that stem from their own sense of insecurity.

ellie987

QUOTE 10/9/2009 3:46:57 PM
Thanks! Me and my dad are really into the irish terrier. were both really excited!
luvmyshihtzus

QUOTE 10/10/2009 2:45:00 PM
Don't look for a "cheap" breeder.  If you do you get a "cheap" dog that may not be healthy, socialized or intelligent because of inbreeding.  You get what you pay for.
runningridge

QUOTE 10/10/2009 8:14:58 PM
Wish you the best of luck.  Dogs are wonderful companions and I've found

a GOOD owner has a GOOD Dog.

Dispite what some say - There are those who sells theirs for less money and

the dogs are just as healthy.  Just do your homework and be sure you have

a good guarantee to back the dog.
ellie987

QUOTE 10/15/2009 1:45:23 PM
we are. we both agreed to buy from the ITCA because they will have healthy and strong young puppies. Or if we buy from someone else we are going to make sure the puppy is in good health
dorieellwell

QUOTE 12/6/2009 8:38:08 AM

Quote luvmyshihtzus:

Don't look for a "cheap" breeder.  If you do you get a "cheap" dog that may not be healthy, socialized or intelligent because of inbreeding.  You get what you pay for.
If your definition of "cheap" is irresponsible breeding techniques, then YES do not go to these kinds of breeders.

Here is an excellent article from About: How to tell if your breeder is a responsible one.

mercysmith

QUOTE 12/15/2009 4:52:41 AM
Here's an article on Choosing a Dog Breed.

And very quite informative too.

brennerandprue

QUOTE 12/16/2009 2:41:00 AM
Thanks to mercysmith for posting the article Choosing a Dog Breed, just read it.

I never knew there are a lot of points to consider when getting a dog.

Post Reply New Topic