Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever

Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever

ladybug4

QUOTE 9/22/2009 5:59:46 PM
Aside from their appearances, what is the difference between a Golden Retriever and a Labrador Retriever?

which would you recommend?
jchamp52

QUOTE 9/25/2009 11:06:37 AM
Hi,

Neither of these dogs is the breed I raise, so I am going to cheat and attach the link to the AKC page that will go over the two different breeds. Hopefully it will help you decide.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/golden_retriever/

http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/
engsonb21

QUOTE 9/25/2009 7:32:41 PM
IMO These dogs are pretty much the same. But i would prefer a lab because i think they look nicer.

dihart

QUOTE 9/28/2009 9:13:23 AM
Both are nice dogs, but I prefer the goldens for their temperment.
lellenstewart

QUOTE 9/28/2009 9:52:14 PM
I've never owned a lab, but I've been around alot of them and have family members who own them. I do own one Golden Retriever. I raise Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Labs tend to be very, very, hyper until they are 3-5 years old. Lots of energy. But they are smart dogs and good family dogs. Goldens are not quite as hyper. My golden is very compliant and eager to please. She's great with kids and very sweet. A little on the subservient side. Very easy to train. So I'd prefer a Golden to a lab. I don't prefer hyper dogs. Of course, I'd choose a RR over all of them! :) Still, either way you decide, you will end up with a good family dog I think.
ellie987

QUOTE 10/7/2009 3:57:42 PM
I really like the flat coat black labs. they have a wonderful looking coat and i prefer theirs to the standard black lab. but over all of those breeds i find i love and am partial to terriers and especially irish terriers. they're great watchdogs and they have a very even temperament with people. they're a little fiery with other dogs but still.  also they are deathly loyal. they have wonderful fur coloring. They only go around 18- 19 inches in height and are only about 27 to 29 pounds so they aren't too large. They are nice and active and not too hyper. They are also very intelligent with an expression to match. i find them to be a wonderful breed and me and my father intend to get one next summer so we can properly bond instead of us going off to work and school two days after we get it. I'm really excited!!! 
ellie987

QUOTE 10/7/2009 4:02:48 PM

Quote ellie987:

I really like the flat coat black labs. they have a wonderful looking coat and i prefer theirs to the standard black lab. but over all of those breeds i find i love and am partial to terriers and especially irish terriers. they're great watchdogs and they have a very even temperament with people. they're a little fiery with other dogs but still.  also they are deathly loyal. they have wonderful fur coloring. They only go around 18- 19 inches in height and are only about 27 to 29 pounds so they aren't too large. They are nice and active and not too hyper. They are also very intelligent with an expression to match. i find them to be a wonderful breed and me and my father intend to get one next summer so we can properly bond instead of us going off to work and school two days after we get it. I'm really excited!!! 
Also if you have any tips on where to find a cheap breeder with fair prices preferably  in the 200-600 dollar range please see my topic column titled soon to be dog owner
webo1224

QUOTE 10/7/2009 7:10:09 PM

Quote ladybug4:

Aside from their appearances, what is the difference between a Golden Retriever and a Labrador Retriever?

which would you recommend?
They are very similar. The Golden Retriever probably requires a lot more grooming and might be a little less hyper. I know some Labs that are overwhelmingly hyper.

I guess you can compare information and see what you prefer?

Labrador Retriever

Golden Retriever

lillycarrie

QUOTE 6/29/2010 10:23:29 AM

Quote engsonb21:

IMO These dogs are pretty much the same. But i would prefer a lab because i think they look nicer.

Me too, i already have a Lab

spottydots

QUOTE 7/5/2010 2:37:28 PM
I personally like Labrador Retrievers better because i have 2 at the moment and they are very obedient and playful! 
Post Reply New Topic