Beware of Trupanion

Beware of Trupanion

danna3

QUOTE 2/13/2012 11:55:19 AM
As a breeder, I have been listing puppies on ndp for 4 years. I was excited when Trupanion offered 30-days pet insurance to my customers. For each puppy sold, I would give an insurance voucher and let customer know that when they had the  puppy examined by a vet & their voucher signed, and activated  online they would be immediately covered for accident, illness, injuries, etc. Every customer would leave with a voucher in hand and full instructions to activate. They were also informed that  trupanion will pay 90% of any costs incurred over the next 30 days, with no payout limits. My customers were delighted and I had about an 80-90% compliance rate with activation. A huge percentage of my customers converted to monthly membership. I gave Trupanion tons of business! Come to find out, without any warning to breeders or change in print-out, trupanion pulled a fast one! After telling my customers that they would have full coverage with 90%, Trupanion decided to include in the fine print that there is a $750 deductible! Unless of course they wanted to sign up and pay about $65 upon activation. My customer was assured by me and trupanion that they were covered for a hospital stay ($1200) only to find out about this new $750 deductible! The breeders have not been put on notice and we are giving our customers a false sense of security. Shame on trupanion for not giving breeders the heads up! this has been a huge embarrassment for me as i assured them that trupanion was a reputable company with no gimmicks. I will no longer endorse Trupanion or help market their product. Their only objective with NDP is to get our client database to market their wares before other insurance companies can. There is no coverage!!!
kathystone

QUOTE 2/13/2012 12:55:51 PM
 I try to click no on trupanion as they DO NOT COVER dogs over 1 year of age so most of my rescued dogs are not covered and cannot. Some people actually get mad at ME because they thought they had  health insurance coverage for the first month. Not! I tell them to beware of scamms in the health insurance for dogs category as well as vets who try to scam people. Like the ones who charge $400 for a spay!
danna3

QUOTE 2/23/2012 12:36:26 PM
Spoke with folks at Trupanion. Apparently, the new insurance offers have a $750 deductible. There is an option to enroll with a zero deductible once the customer goes online and signs up for continuous coverage. They will be charged about $65 at the end of the first month. Not sure if customers will be interested, but will give them the option.
sande83

QUOTE 2/23/2012 1:53:29 PM
not sure if that's how the company used to be, but Trupanion does cover pets older than 1! i signed up my boy when he was 2 after they paid a claim for my puppy (morkie) that died within 10 days. I submitted the claim during the free trial period and they honored it even though i had not paid for coverage! 
Post Reply New Topic