good bye fleas

good bye fleas

dihart

QUOTE 9/26/2011 9:38:24 PM
  I will be glad when the frost happens the fleas die off for the year. 
sitsy

QUOTE 9/28/2011 3:51:12 AM
We've had a great summer...not a sign of fleas YAY. Guess that flea medication works :)
dihart

QUOTE 9/28/2011 10:57:13 PM
      you are lucky then, must not live in Indiana. I used  Frontline plus every month on my dogs, cats too but we still see the fleas, or the dirt from them on their skin. 
sitsy

QUOTE 9/29/2011 5:02:21 AM
We've never had a problem with fleas from our dogs. (Touch wood)

But before, we I use to let my cats roam, they would be loaded with fleas and no amount of flea medication would stop it. Our current cat is an indoor cat. He has digestive issues and is not allowed out at all. No fleas. We do have fleas in our area as I've heard co workers complaining about them.
echo_alpha

QUOTE 12/6/2011 9:43:33 PM
Have had flea problems in northeast OK for years, accidently found out they do not like cedar shavings! Was using the cedar shavings to control  puppy urine accidents and noticed after week or so no more fleas on adults or puppies,  Much cheaper than giving a bath and then using a spray not to mention easier.
dihart

QUOTE 12/12/2011 11:20:46 PM
is that (the cedar shavings) hard on the puppies to breath in? 
wvurocks

QUOTE 12/19/2011 11:53:02 AM
New to the forum but I may be able to help you out. After using Frontline plus for years without a problem I started having flea problems. After reading the fine print it seems after extended use it loses it`s effect and you need to change to a diffent brand for awhile. Did this for a couple months and it did the trick. Also the over the counter brand available at Wal Mart works well. Not the Hartz stuff. It`s a bit cheaper and will definately help. The cedar chips help some but won`t stop the critters.
dihart

QUOTE 12/19/2011 11:11:44 PM
well that could explain why  the frontline is not working like one would think it should. Costs $$ and its tough on the dogs and us still fight the darn things
kathystone

QUOTE 12/20/2011 2:56:48 AM
 I switched to Vectra and it seems to be working great. I spray the kennel and play yards monthly with a "works all season long" product. ( I am getting old and cannot remember the name if it but it is a red and white jug with a spray thingy on it) It kills flies as well so I have less of those too.
dihart

QUOTE 12/21/2011 8:43:31 PM
Kathy, is vectra a brand name for a topical application? 
kathystone

QUOTE 12/21/2011 9:09:44 PM
 Vectra is the brand name. You can google vectra 3d to learn more. The bugs are repeled and killed and do NOT need to bite your pet like with frontline.
dihart

QUOTE 1/1/2012 12:27:37 PM

Quote kathystone:

Vectra is the brand name. You can google vectra 3d to learn more. The bugs are repeled and killed and do NOT need to bite your pet like with frontline.
thank you Kathy I am going to try this out. Frontline has been major disappointment this past year.
dihart

QUOTE 1/1/2012 12:48:36 PM

Quote kathystone:

thank you Kathy I am going to try this out. Frontline has been major disappointment this past year.
kathystone

QUOTE 1/1/2012 2:25:28 PM
 Here is another thing that might work for everyone without breaking the bank. "Comfortis" is Spinosad. That ingredient is used as a topical tratment for cattle and garden plants.  I am going to try it on the dogs. My vet said he thinks it is one way to get rid of fleas, ticks,etc at a reasonable cost.

Most dog flea preparations can be split between several dogs but it is still alot of money. If spinosad can be bought for less and does the job as well, HURRAY!
dihart

QUOTE 1/9/2012 9:08:31 PM
good tips I will be referring to come spring
Post Reply New Topic