insurance

insurance

pup759

QUOTE 7/5/2009 8:43:56 AM
I agree with all the comments made about how hard this is to use and I also have not received one response.

Also on the insurance do you pay when you place the ad or when someone buys the puppy? What does it cover. I don't see any way to find out this information.  And the puppy kit has bowls that will tip over. Not good for new puppies. So I won't be recommending it.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 7/5/2009 1:27:44 PM
I did the quick math on the puppy kit and even if you leave out the bowls, thats a darn good price for the kit.  I'd buy it, toss the bowls and still feel like a got a great deal.
kathystone

QUOTE 7/5/2009 5:46:59 PM
 I like the ideas behind this new website but I am having major problems with sending pictures, filling in the sold pup info and just getting it going. The screens are disjointed or duplicated on top of each other or won't accept information. I ahve tried it on 2 computers that have always worked in the past as well as the one at the Library that has dsl instead of dial up. Anything I can do to get it to work better? 
beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/5/2009 11:05:33 PM
Unless one of us buys the kits and compares it to stuff normally purchased in a store, we can't say what the quality is, I just noticed a wire crate in Tractor Supply Company, that had the thinnest wiring I have ever seen. I would never purchase that.

As far as insurance, if your puppies are AKC, AKC also gives FREE insurance for puppies for 60 days. I am not impressed and I do not encourage either.

Pet insurance companies are in it to make money not help people, just like HUMAN  INSURANCE COMPANIES, but worse. They often have fairly high premiums, deductables, and CAPS on problems.

I have a lot of dogs, and I don't see the benefit.

Rather than purchasing insurance, it is imperative that people find a GREAT VET, that offers honest service and doesn't gouge for unnecessary testing and over price every procedure they do.

People would be wiser to purchase from a reputable breeder that stands behind their puppy/dogs. That puppy will hopefully have less health problems, and the other thing to do would be to take the money you would be spending per month and put it in a savings account for the dog vet needs.

trupanion_pet_insurance

QUOTE 7/28/2009 5:41:30 PM
Though pet insurance is a business, it can be very helpful especially to those pet owners who cannot afford a $1000 bill from the vet. 

Premiums are typically affordable (for dogs, anywhere from $17 to $35 per month) and deductibles vary (with Trupanion you can choose a $0 deductible up to a $1000 deductible). Not all companies place limitations on claim amounts and claims per year.

Even if you have a fantastic vet who doesn't rip you off, you can't expect to get surgery to fix Patellar Luxation (dislocation of knee cap of the hind legs) for anything less than $3,000. Though we can do our best to keep our pets in great health, there is no saying if they will fall, get hit by a car, break a bone, eat toxic substance, etc. which is why people get pet insurance.

If you can afford a $1,626.85 bill for Urolithiasis (a claim that just came in as I was typing this response) then great! But for the rest of us, there's insurance.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 7/29/2009 6:23:54 PM
This is my opinion, but health insurance sucks. It sucks for people, it sucks for pets.

A business is out to make money for the business. They are in it to not pay out as much as possible, and that is a fact.  If they had more output of money than in, they couldn't be in business for long.

I stand by the opinions of my last post about just trying to find the healthiest dog possible from a reputable breeder. Or put the $200-400 per year in insurance fees in an escrow or savings account in case it is needed for vet bills.

BTW-- My vet who has been in practice for 30 years charges about $250 per leg to fix a luxating Patella, and about $800 to fix torn ACL's, $80 for hernia repair and $70 for cherry eye. So again, the best insurance is a fair, good, cheap vet.

tanktrouble

QUOTE 7/31/2009 9:51:42 PM
I agree that the insurance thing can be a good idea in some instances.  However, here's something to think about.  You get a young pup, start paying those premiums every month, and  you don't need it until the dog is, say, around 8 years old or so.  By that time, you've already paid in, at $35/month--$3360-4200, which could be a lot more than the surgery cost.  Why not find a good, reasonable vet, establish a good relationship with them, and make payments on that surgery if it should happen.  Rather than make payments for years and possibly never use it?  I've got a great vet and they take payments when I need them to.
beaglebrat

QUOTE 8/14/2009 11:13:33 AM
I just noticed when I am placing a new ad on nextdaypets that it said "Pet insurance is always included" and I could not click on that I was not interested in providing it. Low and behold.... who should it be..........but truepanion pet insurance.

I feel like weather we provide our customer information or not, they are trying to force this insurance on us! WE PAY TO ADVERTISE.

I figure this website is making at least $500,000 per year on paying breeders that advertise, probably much more. Now they have all this stuff that they are trying to sell people, and they have hooked up with this insurance company obviously as another way for the insurance company and nextdaypets to make money.

This kind of reminds me of the escrow program that nextdaypets was trying to force on people so that they could..........make tons of money per transaction.

BE HAPPY you are one of the most successful puppy selling sites, behind the big one of course.  Quit trying to force all this extra stuff on your customer (THE BREEDERS) and their customers!

Optional is fine, forced is another.

beaglebrat

QUOTE 8/14/2009 11:18:34 AM
I also feel like all this stuff is now linked. Like there are now "Premium members" where you get some sort of bonus if you "show your support of Nextdaypets" by providing your customers contact info when you sell a puppy.

I do show my support by spending more on this website in advertising per year than any other of the sites I advertise on.

I just don't want to give up my clients information for 1) insurance or 2)Products. Purchasing a puppy is often a confusing and difficult and EXPENSIVE time as it is, I really don't want it to seem like I am endorsing any of this additional stuff.

winddial

QUOTE 8/14/2009 2:36:09 PM
It does start to look like Walmart when you have all these options.  Maybe not Walmart exactly, maybe Sears is a better example with all the different options and attachments you can buy for your new fangled machine.  At some point it does loose its approachable breeder appeal, they feel like they are talking to a pushy car salesman and that is a big turn off. 

I don't know if anyone has noticed or cares much for it but other people being able to see all the SOLD listings.  I don't mind if it was a perfect world but I just think that is too much information for people who might want to use the wrong way,  and also makes looking at All My Listings confusing.  I accidentally marked an upcoming litter ad as SOLD instead of the 16 week old puppy next to it, and that goofy thing is there forever I think.  I wish it would just get rid of it.  What is the need for it to remain anyway?  The video credits are kind of weird.  Why not just create an html embed option for youtube or some of the others.  Use their space, not yours and its FREE to all who can navigate their way to Youtube!!!!!!

I just know I won't be marking anymore as sold.  Too many strings attached in doing so and the benefits really aren't all that enticing. 
trupanion_pet_insurance

QUOTE 8/17/2009 5:36:29 PM
I thought I should jump in here really quicky to shed some light on the Trupanion offer. This offer is meant to protect you, and your recently sold dog, for the first 30 days. There is absolutely no obligation for the new pet owner to continue coverage after those 30 days. During those 30 days, they get $20,000 worth of coverage for accidents and illnesses with NO waiting periods.

The only reason we ask for the new pet owner's information (name and email address) is so that we can email them the coverage certificate. At that time, they may choose to activate the certificate or not. We have partnered with NextDayPets to increase pet insurance awareness and to help protect all of their sellers.

I find it unfortunate that you see this offer as a pushy sales pitch, because that is not the intention.
autumnrungreatdanes

QUOTE 9/2/2009 5:16:10 PM
Ive had pet insurance on all my dogs in the past, the premium was low. The highest one was for my one female since she was 2 at the time, at that it was only 37.00 a month. Not bad, the rest was like 17.00 - 25.00 due to there age at sign up...... However, insurance comp do not tell you fully what is and isn't included. Example... Says it "covers" Xrays, BUT ONLY Xrays that are needed that results in accident or injury. Does not cover Xrays for breeding bitches. Says it "cover" Ultra Sound and Sonograms but again only for accidents and or injury. Does not cover for breeding bitches. They give a small peace of what the cover on the sign up info but after you sign up and they have your money they will then give you access to there info sheet that tells you what they do and don't cover. Lets just say they cover far less then you think. Pet insurance is mainly good for those that want a discount on Heart worm test and meds, they get a discount on micro-chipping which "most" breeders provide now, they get a discount on spay/neuter and of course if you flip your car god forbid and your dog is hurt bad they will take care of that but again there limited on what can be used and there is a cost you can not go over. The main reason I signed up with an insurance comp was for my breeding program encase something goes wrong but since they didn't cover anything I dropped it 3 months later. This was NOT insurance offered here on NDP but it was similar to AKC's and even theres is set up the same way. I tell my buyers that as long as you buy from a reputable breeder that stands behind you and you feed your puppy an excellent supper premium diet, then your puppy will more and likely never go to the vet for anything other then a check up, shots etc.. JMO
trupanion_pet_insurance

QUOTE 9/3/2009 3:39:23 PM
Unfortunately for breeders, most pet insurance does not cover costs associated with breeding. For those companies that do offer this coverage, the payout limit is quite low. To anyone looking into getting pet insurance, you MUST do research. Exclusions and limitations are defined in every company's policy wording, because the law requires this. And, if you have questions, ask! If you have specific concerns, make sure you get them answered before purchasing insurance.

That said, pet insurance is set up to be a safety net as is home, car, and human health insurance. Pet owners will never see value in purchasing pet insurance to cover routine expenses, because pet insurance companies are still businesses; for planned expenses, pet insurance companies will charge more than the cost of the procedure or product to cover their own administrative fees. Imagine what your car insurance payments would look like if car insurance covered oil changes.

autumnrungreatdanes

QUOTE 9/4/2009 9:22:40 PM

Quote trupanion_pet_insurance:

Unfortunately for breeders, most pet insurance does not cover costs associated with breeding. For those companies that do offer this coverage, the payout limit is quite low. To anyone looking into getting pet insurance, you MUST do research. Exclusions and limitations are defined in every company's policy wording, because the law requires this. And, if you have questions, ask! If you have specific concerns, make sure you get them answered before purchasing insurance.

That said, pet insurance is set up to be a safety net as is home, car, and human health insurance. Pet owners will never see value in purchasing pet insurance to cover routine expenses, because pet insurance companies are still businesses; for planned expenses, pet insurance companies will charge more than the cost of the procedure or product to cover their own administrative fees. Imagine what your car insurance payments would look like if car insurance covered oil changes.

I have yet to locate any pet insurance that will cover anything that pertains to breeding or whelping. You say Exclusions and limitations are defined in every company's policy, that is not true in the case of the pet insurance that ive dealt with. They provided a short list of the main things that most people need covered to hook you but once I paid my 300.00 up front for 3 dogs i was then "granted access" by a user name and password provided by them for their site to see the "full list of coverage" along definition and detailed coverage. Before I signed up I did ask question, I asked the company questions a long with my vet of 11 years since it was them offering the insurance. You give examples on different types of insurance and even include human health insurance. So why is it that human insurance can cover everything concerning womens health including exams for getting pregnant to insure your healthy enough to conceive and carry to checking on you during your pregnancy to delivery and down to complications which includes X-rays, ultrasounds, sonograms etc. etc. etc. Maybe if pet insurance companies would offer more, then more people would joint including breeders. At this time with my past experience, I would not recommend it to my buyers as its a waist of money.
kathystone

QUOTE 9/6/2009 4:55:57 AM
  We are a licensed rescue shelter. The dogs we get come from a variety of sources. I like the idea of pet health insurance for our adoptors. However, I still cannot get this website to mark our placements as sold. ANy tricks I should know about? As far as " making money", tell me you are only breeding dogs for the fun of it and not to make back your expenses plus abit more. Why else would breeders charge over $500 for a majority of dogs posted on this site?
autumnrungreatdanes

QUOTE 9/7/2009 10:49:17 PM

Quote kathystone:

We are a licensed rescue shelter. The dogs we get come from a variety of sources. I like the idea of pet health insurance for our adoptors. However, I still cannot get this website to mark our placements as sold. ANy tricks I should know about? As far as " making money", tell me you are only breeding dogs for the fun of it and not to make back your expenses plus abit more. Why else would breeders charge over $500 for a majority of dogs posted on this site?
Kathystone,

Unfortunately I can not help you with your problems regarding NDP, maybe someone else will jump on here and be able to assist you better. I have not listed with NDP for awhile and my add will not be upgraded until my litter arrives so Im not experiencing any problems at this time. I did have a question for you though, I was not sure who you were referring to as you did not say or do a quote. Your question/comment - As far as " making money", tell me you are only breeding dogs for the fun of it and not to make back your expenses plus abit more. Why else would breeders charge over $500 for a majority of dogs posted on this site?  No I am not breeding for the "fun" of it and any body that is should "not" be breeding at all. We breed to try and better the breed, producing both show and pet quality puppies. All of our adults are health tested before bred, there not bred until after 2 years of age. All of our puppies are micro-chipped in our name, there sold on a strict contract and must be returned to me if they can no longer keep them for whatever reason. To this date none of our puppies have ever been re-homed, returned or dumped at a shelter or rescue. I pray it never does but if it does Ill see those owner in court so fast there head will spin. Why else would breeders charge over $500 for a majority of dogs posted on this site? Reputable breeders price there puppies for what they are worth based on many things. Examples are: Parent Titles, Conforming to the breed standard, Show or Pet quality, Health tested parents, Pedigree, Color correct or color purity and so on. For any Reputable breeder what money is made goes back into the breeding program for more health testings, vet care, excellent quality food etc..
katiekat33

QUOTE 9/8/2009 9:38:49 PM
My husband and I decided a long time ago that we would never put pencil to paper and figure out exactly how much we were supposedly making on our dogs, because it would be very discouraging if we were just in it for the money.  By the time we buy premium food, pay for health care, etc. we don't make a lot of money at all.  Our dogs are a relaxing hobby after my stressful job and I love them; I can't imagine NOT having them, but to suggest that we are all raking in big bucks because some people price dogs over $500 each is a little ridiculous. 
runningridge

QUOTE 9/13/2009 1:02:48 PM

Quote kathystone:

I could think of a WHOLE LOT MORE THINGS to do for FUN than raising dogs.  I raise dogs because I love them and enjoy messing with them.  I SALE them because I'm not in a position to financially cover all of the expenses associated with them on a day to day and year to year basis.

Why would I want to put out money on a DAILY basis and then GIVE IT AWAY?

I feed one of the best dog foods on the market, I feed my puppies 2 of the best puppy foods on the market, I give them their shots as recommended, I worm them on a constant basis, I groom them, I take them to the vet when needed,

and I spend a LOT of time with them.  I give them treats, I furnish them places to live, I pay the utility bills associated with them, and I was spending MEGA BUCKs showing them so $500.00 wouldn't even cover the

minimium wage LABOR if I was charging labor.

Would you prefer that we GAVE THEM AWAY or sold them at such low prices that every Tom, Dick and Harry would be flocking to our doors to get one just so they could get a puppy that more than likely they would bore of in a few months and end up in a RESCUE so we could be blamed again for all of the unwanted puppies?  I would hope not!
Post Reply New Topic