please help!!!!

please help!!!!

fudgey12

QUOTE 2/20/2012 4:17:57 AM

hi i have a staffy and he will be 2 in april his name is soloman and every time we go out he wees and poops on the floor  he could go for a 3mile walk before we go out but he will still do it even if we leave him for an hour hes rarely left on his own once a week if that we got told he gets seperation anxioty but no ones give us any advice on how to deal with it  we just dont know what to do so please could someone give us any ideas on how to stop this please

kathystone

QUOTE 2/20/2012 7:30:56 AM
 When  you leave him he soils the house? Is that correct?   He is 2 years old so this has been going on for a while? Can you put him outside when you leave? What about getting him a friend to play with? MOre info please so we can help. Thanks!
dihart

QUOTE 2/20/2012 9:03:47 AM
maybe a crate when you have to leave him, you say it is seldom....
sande83

QUOTE 2/23/2012 1:47:48 PM
my dog had separation anxiety too and it's good to practice and train with them! its hard to tell from what you said if it's a potty training issue or a separation anxiety issue but definitely would want to consult a trainer if its a big problem!
ayawalksfar.gsd

QUOTE 3/5/2012 2:20:43 AM
First I would make sure this is not a potty training issue. If this is a separation issue, you need to begin training him to stay alone.  I would recommend making sure he is comfortable in a crate that is big enough to stand, turn around and lay down in.  This is crate training.  Once he sees the crate, with a bone to chew and his favorite blankie, as a good place to be then you can start shutting the door for a few minutes at a time then opening it.  Once he likes his crate, you can give him a special treat in his crate, like a peanut butter kong, shut the door, leave the house WITHOUT fanfare, walk around the outside for a couple of minutes then return and open crate door without fanfare.  Keep doing this until he is comfortable then gradually increase his time alone in crate.  Dog's hate potting where they sleep so it is less likely he will make a mistake in his crate.  If this does not work, seek a professional trainer's help but one who uses positive methods. Compulsion or punishment will make the matter much worse!

sandypawzdoghhouse

QUOTE 4/12/2012 6:00:06 PM
Crate training is a wonderful way to deal with this sort of situation. It can help both with potty training and separation anxiety. Remember that the crate should NEVER be used as a tool for punishment. The crate should be a place your dog can go to feel safe and secure. Make it a big enough crate that your dog can feel comfortable in it but not so big that he can poop in one area and lay in another. Most dogs will not poop where they sleep. Once you have the crate, put him in it for short times while you leave, extending the time out slowly. What this does is helps to ensure the dog will not need to go potty desperately enough to go in the crate. It will also help to build a sense of security. Give him things to do in there, give him a few treats when he goes in, and/or put his favorite toy in there with him. Make sure you don't leave him with something that needs supervision.
dihart

QUOTE 4/18/2012 2:26:33 PM

Quote sandypawzdoghhouse:

Crate training is a wonderful way to deal with this sort of situation. It can help both with potty training and separation anxiety. Remember that the crate should NEVER be used as a tool for punishment. The crate should be a place your dog can go to feel safe and secure. Make it a big enough crate that your dog can feel comfortable in it but not so big that he can poop in one area and lay in another. Most dogs will not poop where they sleep. Once you have the crate, put him in it for short times while you leave, extending the time out slowly. What this does is helps to ensure the dog will not need to go potty desperately enough to go in the crate. It will also help to build a sense of security. Give him things to do in there, give him a few treats when he goes in, and/or put his favorite toy in there with him. Make sure you don't leave him with something that needs supervision.
dihart

QUOTE 4/18/2012 2:26:33 PM

Quote sandypawzdoghhouse:

ronnajw

QUOTE 4/21/2012 10:57:11 PM
Consistantly crating is always the best solution.  The key is consistancy....no exceptions or "trials" for 90 days.
puglover10101

QUOTE 4/30/2012 9:20:00 PM
I have a 2 year old male Pikka Pug mix. He has a sepation problem. I cant leave for 5 minutes without him whining! First, i whould snap at him everytime he had an accident. It didnt work. Even now, i chain him up everyday, even though hes potty trained, its cruel to make him hold it. He sometimes cant hold it and looks guilty. Many people turn to crate training...  NEVER DO IT!!! It is like me stuffing you in a house, with no way out, and no toilot, and telling you you cant go to the bathroom. LOL. I sugest you chaining him up outside.
Post Reply New Topic