puppy biting

puppy biting

dihart

QUOTE 10/27/2011 7:43:03 PM
      any tips for stopping a new pup who constantly wants to be biting fingers, toes, etc?  
kathystone

QUOTE 10/27/2011 10:22:21 PM
 Biting is a way some dogs greet their people. It is sort of like a big hug. This does not work with a rotty or shepherd. These breeds tend to be "mouthy". Get a dog bumper for fetching. When your pup grabs your hand EXPECT IT and hold his mouth shut while saying "no". Then give him the bumper and play tug of war with it or throw it for him. He will refocus on the toy and at some point will bring you the bumper instead of "hugging" you. By all means do NOT hit him as he is not trying to be a bad dog. He just does not understand people talk yet. Watch the pup with its mom. He probably bites on her too. See what she does? She ignores him until he is getting obnoxious and then growls at him. It becomes a game of how far can I push you. So don't play that game. Instead refocus him on the bumper.
dihart

QUOTE 10/31/2011 9:25:48 PM
 Yep Kathy, I do realize those things, all good pointers. And  told my clients many of those insights.
        I   was at our big yearly ICAW meeting this weekend, great fun, lots of good seminars and discussions. One of them was how to work with a 8-12 week old pup that is going into its new (re-homed) home and learning to be obedient and learn who his humans are to him, as in "the boss".  It is a cool method taught by a training company and specifically targets the 8-12 week old pup.  Maybe others will find great help in trying this also.  So the process is this:  Put puppy in your lap or  get down on the floor with him (if he is too big to set in your lap)  and position him between your knees on his back and force him to lay still. hands go on his chest, fingers around his front legs and neck area. He will struggle, but sharply tell him "NO", a sharp, loud sound to startle him. He may struggle for a minutes even, but eventually he will stop struggling, relax & lay still. Once he lays still, praise him for being a good puppy. touch his feet and ears while he is there. get out a brush  and introduce that to his coat. the amount of pressure you use will correspond to his resistance. the instructor said that you should do this putting him on his back every day for several days but within a short time you should see improvement in his listening to you as his leader.  
         Soooo,  if anyone does try this I would love feedback.    
kathystone

QUOTE 11/1/2011 9:24:11 AM
 This is an old standard of Matthew Margolis and Bill Koehler. It establishes dominance. For some dogs this is a good thing( Rotts, Akitas, Shepherds etc) It teaches a dog to be submissive to the new owner. However, with some dogs it frightens them so much they pee all over themselves and then ahve a hard time bonding with someone new. 

I have been thinking of writing a book and the more "junk training" I read about, the more I think I will. (Have to get spell check! )

There are some really good older training books out of print that , in my opinion, are far more valuable than the stuff that is current. Milo Pearsall 's" Training from the dog's point of view." is excellent.He lets the dog practically train itself while you are the source of all love and happy things and the negative comes from something else. Like mousetraps in the trash can to teach pupy to stay out of the trash. Another great book, "Stop!Sit!Think!" by Charles Eisenmann who was trained by his dog(!) while on the road as a pro ball player. His dog went on to star in several movies in the 50s and 60s.(The Littlest Hobo, Sergent Preston )

If people would just not be so stupid! Imagine you are your dog in a clicker class at petsmart. Your human said something and all of a sudden the poeple in the class are making a strange sound! Means nothing. Today you were praised for jumping up and giving mommy a kiss on her face. But yesterday you did that and got punished/slapped/kicked. So whats the deal!( Mommy was wearing her nylons and they got torn but you are a dog so how are you suppose to know the intricasies of human fashion?)

Now were is my typewriter... 
dihart

QUOTE 11/3/2011 9:58:31 PM
    MODERATOR NEEDS TO REMOVE THE POST FROM  yangpeter123
sophia_dave101

QUOTE 1/21/2013 1:26:06 AM
To stop puppy biting the easy way requires just a little bit of prior

knowledge and it is a snap. No matter who they play with, human or

canine, puppies will bite.  Mostly, we don't really need to prevent

puppies from biting as it is usually play action and not aggressive

behavior.
Post Reply New Topic