very aggresive maltese

very aggresive maltese

tnrose3

QUOTE 4/5/2011 5:34:03 PM
Last December we adopted an adult maltese from a rescue center with the knowledge that he was an abused animal with "some" behavioral issues.

Boy oh boy does he ever. He will aggressively attack us, bites us without provocations, and barks at any noise. We are senior citizens, Have no children in the house. We have owned 4 other maltese through out our lives and have never had one behave this way. We love Riley already an want to help him, but we dont know how. We dont believe in hitting our animals or using painful shock collars.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheryl
kathystone

QUOTE 4/6/2011 5:11:17 AM
 I run a small dog rescue. It sounds like he is in full blown fight mode bacause he is actually afraid. Do you have a dog crate?  A large PLASTIC solid sided crate would be great. You do not want a small one, perhaps one that would be a 500 or larger series. What you are going to do is rearrange his stress mode and help him to want to be your friend and a good pet. Put him in the crate with food, a rabbit type water bottle on the outside, and a wire floor so his poop and pee fall through. Put a dog bed in there for him to lay on but don't be surprised if he shreds it. If so, us a smal piece of card board for him to lay on.( Shredding the bed is misdirected aggression and common in real hard cases.)

Throw a towel or blanket over the crate and leave him alone. Don't even talk to him. It may take several days for him to feel that he has a  safe place. Three times a day, open the door and let him out so you can clean his crate. If he won't come out, that is ok. He may be a bit stinky at first but here is what is going on in his head. YOU ARE NO LONGER  A THREAT! In fact, he now has a place he can sleep without being disturbed. Not having to be "on watch" 24/7 will do wonders for his disposition.

Give him about a week to settle down. Go about feeding and watering WITHOUT ANY BABY TALK. Again, he may associate that with "aggression" on your part. Yes, it sounds stupid but try it anyway.

After a week, offer him a piece of chicken( a small pice of your chicken dinner is perfect) just drop it in his food dish and walk away. Again, no baby talk...yet. What you are doing is showing him that you have stuff he might want, therefore, you are a  desirable thing and not really a threat at all:)

Start to leave the crate door open so he has the opportunity to come out and visit if he wants. Remember, the goal is to WANT to be with you. He has to make the choice. The crate is his safe zone. He cannot be mad 24/7 if he has an out. 

Once he starts to come out, have just a few treats available. Too many make you a patsy and he will not respect you. It is like having an overflowing candy dish at Grandmas. The little kids will only get fat and not respect you as much as if you give them a REWARD for being a great little angel from time to time. 

Keep it up and within a month he should be coming around. And thanks for taking in a hard to place dog.
goldie7777

QUOTE 8/4/2011 1:15:35 AM
I'm sorry but crating a dog is not the answer.  Give lots of attention, work with the dog by training him and letting him understand that you are the boss and care for him.  Work obediance traning, retrieving, and constant love.  If you really mean it when you say you care for this doggie slowly show affection and do it as much as you can like a new born baby.
jleinart

QUOTE 1/23/2012 12:34:53 PM
well i have a month old male maltese who is beginning to show some sign of aggressions an di don't know what to do with him,he hates other dogs
kathystone

QUOTE 1/23/2012 6:42:10 PM
 If your dog does not want to be with you, why in the world would you force it? A crate is not cruel as so many ignorant people believe. It is his private bedroom where he can relax if he wants to. He has shown he does NOT want to be with his people. By forcing it, he will only get worse. Remember trying to make your kids eat a vegetable they did not want to eat? ANd by forsing them to eat it, how did they feel about you and the vegetable? Same with the dog. A child who hates peas may end up liking poea soup if he is not forced to eat it but rather has a choice of chicken noodle or home made pea soup with ham and bacon. MMM!

Jerking a dog who is already in attack mode around only confirms his suspicions that you cannot be trusted and are a danger and I promise, he is NOT going to want to stay with you!
txhopalong

QUOTE 1/24/2012 9:46:59 AM
You want to get educated - call Cezar Malan. He is a dog expert. One of the best. If you feel agression coming from you, anger, overly excited all these extreme emotions exuding from you, you can bet the dog will feel them and to a greater extent. Hate to say this, it starts with the owner. You may not think so but it does. Learn being calm and patient, kindness, love. Wacking the dog, jerking the chain or leash those things will kill the bond in a heart beat. Get help and learn how to become a great pet owner. Good Luck
tteddyau

QUOTE 3/13/2012 12:37:06 PM
When are people going to realise that they need to take responsibility when taking in a dog?

Dogs, puppies, whatever and owners need training!!

To spend probably 4 weeks training your dog to get a lifetime of pleasure from your them, isn't it worth it???

You bet your left boot it is!!

Training makes such a huge huge difference! When will people realise this?

Oh don't make the excuse that it costs too much either!! How many lounges, shoes, doctors bills etc is it going to take??!

Sorry, but I get so annoyed when people complain about their unruly, badly behaved dogs!!
kathystone

QUOTE 3/13/2012 4:54:32 PM
 Obviously tted has not had to deal with a dog who has spent his entire life in a cage. These unsocialized dogs do NOT want to be with you and throwing money at a trainer  isn't going to make them happier. These dogs have emotionally shut down. They want you to leave them alone. What the new owner has to try to do is reopen the lines of communication. That will not happen with training. That will happen when the dog starts to rethink his position on humans. I have dealt with these dogs on a regualr basis.

In fact, one of our rescues came from a dog pound where she had been scheduled for euthanazia for 3 weeks but they could not get near her so she was able to get a pass.  She bit the kennel attendant every time he came near her. The cage she was in was only 30 inches square but she was definitely a vicious dog! She  took about 3 weeks to get comfortable enough to come out of her crate which was in a bathroom. She now sits on my shoulder whe I eat and is one of my favorite dogs of all time. She weighs 3 pounds but she will definitely chew up anyone who comes too close.

Again, I would love to hear back from the original poster and see how it is coming.
Post Reply New Topic