Whats the best potty training method

Whats the best potty training method

megbrks

QUOTE 6/9/2010 5:46:07 PM
I'm getting a female begal Thursday and I was wondering whats the best way to potty train?
kathystone

QUOTE 6/9/2010 7:10:39 PM
 If you are getting a puppy, please remember it is a baby and cannot hold itself for hours on end.

First decide what you want to teach. Can the dog potty under a roof? If so, you can use puppy pads to your advantage. I put them in a cat box with sides so it is an easy target for the pup. The advantage of pad training is you can make it easier on the dog when you are gone for more than a few hours and he has to go potty. When you go on vacation it is easier to use the pads in a hotel or other place where you may not want to walk him after dark.( Like downtown New York)

If you decide to train him  to go outside instead, use a crate. Crate him at night. First thing in the morning TAKE HIM OUTSIDE. When he is successful, lots of praise. Then time for coffee! During the first few days crate him when you are not able to keep an eye on him. If  he soils the house, and you CATCH him in the act, pick him up and take him outside. If you do NOT catch him in the act, clean it up and growl in a low voice about the worthless, disgusting, foul dog who would do such a thing. There are several good cleaning products that take out the stain and the smell. Then take the paper towels you used to clean with and the dog outside. Put the towels in the yard where you want him to go.  Point to the towels and say go potty here. In a firm voice. Make him stay outside and you stay out too until he goes again. Then smiley face and lots of praise. Take food away at 6 pm and water at 9 pm. Be sure to take him out before bed. Go out with him and again praise when he goes.

It takes me about 3-4 days to train an older dog using this method. the important points are, remember to praise good behavior and show shock and disgust at incorrect behavior. Also please do not expect your dog to hold it for more than 4-5 hours. Yes, some can but try it yourself after you visit the buffet line... fat chance! Good luck with your new beagle.
laurelr4

QUOTE 7/4/2010 9:21:03 AM
I have a miniature dachshund and I had a hard time getting him to tell me when he needed to go out. So I taught him how to ring the business bell. I tell how in detail on my site <a> href= "Obedience">http://jackpdiddy.blogspot.com/2010/06/using-bell-to-housebreak-your-dog-will.html">Obedience Training With My Miniature Dachshund</a>
goldie7777

QUOTE 8/4/2011 12:55:15 AM
First, with a puppy always take her out every couple  of hours and walk her around encouraging her all the time.  I often use a word to let them know what I want them to do.  I use "go pots"  over and over everytime I take them out.  Always take them out first thing in the morning, about 3-5 minutes after they eat,  basically as much as you can in the early years.  I find that when they get use to the word you use to describe them going poo or pee you can take them out and just say the word and they immediately respond.  Oh, of course, once they go praise them like they just won a gold medal. Please do not scold, or rub their nose in it, this only confuses the dog because unless you catch them while they are pottying they don't understand what they are getting scolded for.  Make it a fun time, remember take them out more than  you would usually do to get them to understand outside is the best.
sitsy

QUOTE 8/29/2011 4:21:59 AM
We are just beginning week three with our pup Gus. We are training him to go out side. He is in his kennel when we are not home. Fortunately my husband can pop by to let him out now and then.

We have been persistant with taking him out 15 minutes after he has eaten or had a drink. Also if he barks. He now stands infront of the door and barks. Any accidents he has in the house now are because we didn't pick up on his cue. He doesn't always bark, sometimes it's a little whine or he'll come and swat you with his paw. If this goes with out a response, he will pee on the floor. In a week and a half he has only had one poo accident.
Post Reply New Topic