hide away pooper

hide away pooper

zeushaslightning

QUOTE 3/10/2010 9:14:07 PM
This concerns my girlfriends dog and how I might try to help. Her dog is a very smart standard poodle about 2yrs old. she took her to an intensive obiedience school as a puppy, but I dont know all the specifics of that experience. I do know she wasn't crate trained. So, the problem is that the dog wont poop outside on a leash, only if its running loose at the dog park, unattended and usually goes away from where can be seen. So, if the dog isn't taken to park it wont poop, then it poops in the apartment (tries to hide) behind couch or in  another room. I dont live there so I cant be a constant discipline. I have a staffordshire terrier, very well mannered and I dont (cant due to his potential nature) tolerate any bad manners. I have repremanded her dog when caught in the pooping act once. Many times though, she'll get a walk, not poop or pee, then come back to the apt only to do her buisness there.  There are some other bad habits established between her and her dog (improper feeding and allowing to jump on her and furnature, she thinks are cute) that I have had to intervene with repremand and express my discontent for.  My girlfriend thinks the "hiding" while pooping is because her dog is shy and embaressed to do so while we watch. Is there any truth to that or is that more a reflection of my girlfriend?
sitsy

QUOTE 9/4/2011 5:39:40 AM
I realize this is an old post but I think it still needs a reply. I think the answer to the hiding to poop problem has a lot to do with timing. There should be set meal times. Meals should be presented and left down for no longer than 15 minutes. Then taken away. Depending on the dog, for our pup I wait about 15 minutes before taking him out for a poop. The same goes for water. Until they are house trained, I do not leave food or water down. I makes sure Gus gets the required amount, but it is important to give it at times in the day when you can insure that you can  take them out side to do their business. Once they have the concept you will start to see them indicating that they need to go out. It's now up to you to pick up on their cues. They might bark, or go over by the door, whine a bit or my first dog use to come and sit by me and just look at me intensely. I've never made a big deal about my dog making a mistake in the house. I've just taken them right out side for a few minutes. Usually they finish what ever they started in the house. Once back in the house I clean up the accident thoroughly. I've never "paper trained" an animal. This works better for some people. Hopefully other's will have more tips to add.
Post Reply New Topic