How can i control my dog when he sees another dog?

How can i control my dog when he sees another dog?

cheriegil009

QUOTE 12/1/2009 4:54:53 PM
I walk my dog alot. And hes a big dog. And hes good on a leash. I can handle him really good. But i get scared when he sees another dog. He doesnt bark at all. But the other dogs bark at him. Making my dog run. He rips the leash out of my hands and runs toward the dogs. But he never hurts the dogs. But the dogs always hurt him. How do i control him so me and my dog dont get hurt?

magenta.crake8

QUOTE 12/6/2009 7:46:13 PM
You need to look into training classes if it is getting bad enough that
he is getting hurt often. But in the mean time, you need to have a
handle on the leash, or wrap it around your hand and keep a firm grip
on the leash. If you can’t control him and he is too big for you, then
get someone else to walk him until you can train with him.

BUT

If you do walk your dog, try to be distant away from the other dogs. If the dog stays at home, try to tie the leash in the post inside your house so that it will not harm your dog from the others.

brennerandprue

QUOTE 12/15/2009 4:31:27 AM
Even if you tie the leash to your hand a dog's strength is different. I had the same experience before with our German Shepherd. I was walking him and suddenly there's this neighbor's dog who came out and barked at him. Our dog Philip, got mad and broke away from me and chased the other dog. I was screaming at the top of my voice running after him because I was so scared the other dog will hurt him.

Best to let your dog undergo a training wherein he will listen only to your commands and will not be easily provoke.

mercysmith

QUOTE 12/15/2009 4:39:46 AM
I don't think distancing your dogs from other dogs will solve the problem. It is but a momentary solution only, but the problem is still there.

Read this "Continue to socialize/desensitize your dog with other unfamiliar dogs
throughout his life. A great place to start is puppy kindergarten, obedience training classes or the local dog park."

rob45

QUOTE 1/29/2010 8:45:24 PM
You should try with some dog boarding park ,those facilities always have some staff 
with whom you can consult.
The last option is to keep him away from other dogs...
But i don't think that is the best solution...
kathystone

QUOTE 1/30/2010 11:08:05 AM
 If you are not using a choke chain/training collar, please get one. It should be Loose enough to pull two or three links through the chain when tightened. Put it on CORRECTLY with the moving links on top of his neck. Then put the collar right under his ears. DO NOT WRAP THE LEASH AROUND YOUR HANDS. That is an easy way to get dragged. Instead, put your thumb through the handle and hold the rest of your handle in a fist, thumb on top. Now lock your other hand just under the first. Put both hands at your chest.  Have him on your left side. Say in a happy voice "heel" and walk forward. Take about a dozen steps then turn around to your right. Chances are he will hit the end of the collar and get a wake up call. Don't say anything. Just keep your head up and keep walking. Go about 25 steps and turn right again. Bump! He wil probably hit the end again. However, he is now paying attention to you. Do this several times in your yard where he is familiar and you have control.  Then go for a walk. If you see another dog, turn right twice so you are going the other way.Be prepared to hgave him get bumped again. Just keep walking. After he has calmed down and is walking nicely, stop and praise him. Oh! WHAT A GOOD DOG! Turn around again and go for your walk. Repeat  the right turn every time he is not focused on you.  I would then suggest you enroll in a dog obedience class where he can get to work under more pressure of other dogs. What he is learning is YOU are pack leader and will not ask, beg or let him know if you are going to change directions. And you certainly are not going to ask his permission!

You can also change from a collar to a haltie or something similar but he will still be in control. Don't wimp out!The bump he feels is far less than being chewed up by another dog.
Post Reply New Topic