What shall happen if I adopt a new dog...

What shall happen if I adopt a new dog...

ahunter50

QUOTE 12/1/2009 4:51:24 PM
I have a dog now (Daschund) and I'm thinking of getting a second dog. So, for anyone who has ever brought another dog into a home with an existing dog…what effect did this have on the first dog? Did he/she seem happier? Glad to have a canine playmate? Confused? Depressed? Scared? I’m fully aware that dogs are pack animals and it is natural for them to live together, but I can’t help but worry.
cheriegil009

QUOTE 12/1/2009 6:23:46 PM
When our male Yorkie was 15 months we brought home a new baby girl
Yorkie. We were very nervous about having them together, because she
was so much smaller and he was used to all of the attention.

BOY, were we surprised, they were instant buddies! she's a little
feisty, and takes him on even though she's only a quarter of his size.
From what I hear, it is better to bring the opposite sex as the newbie
into the family.
logancreekkennel

QUOTE 12/2/2009 10:52:47 PM
As long as the newest family member is a puppy most dogs are very accepting. If you bring another adult into the home you will have trouble with them fighting over territory. My experience is that it doesn't matter what sex the puppy is just as long as it is a puppy. It is also easier to house break the second dog as it will learn from watching the older one.
magenta.crake8

QUOTE 12/6/2009 7:50:20 PM
I have a chihuahua and a mongrel who is way old in his age. Despite of their different behaviors, they still get along with each other.

Here is a picture of my Paco, the mongrel dog ;p: http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2400/backgroundblacky.jpg

alryan

QUOTE 12/16/2009 3:20:05 AM
I think a puppy is more acceptable to an older dog than a mature dog.

Although again, there are cases of older dogs fighting with puppies.

When my brother brought home a baby pug, our older dog didn't like it even if it has been years, the two do not get along. So if one dog is out in the backyard, the other is in the kitchen and vice versa. One time someone forget to close the kitchen dog and the pug went out, boy, we can hear all the snarling and gritting of teeths!

Good luck!

shoobythedog

QUOTE 12/26/2009 10:58:10 PM
I haven't done anything like this before. . Sorry.My family has though. There dog quickly became best friends with the other dog. Usually this doesn't happen so I'd be careful.Maybe you should slowly introduce the dogs to each other.Be careful when you do this though.

Eventually, the dogs will most likely become friends.Doing alittle research on Dachounds won't hurt. ;)
Post Reply New Topic