gaurding food

gaurding food

apbtlover

QUOTE 10/5/2009 12:18:31 PM
Ace our 2 1/2 yr old aussie has started gaurding food. Will allow any person or child to touch, take or mess with food. But will attack any other dog or cat that comes near his food dish. have been feeding the dogs seperatly, but would like to not have to worry if another dog comes in the room while he is eating. We've been making him wait to eat, giving a release command when he is allowed to touch his food. any ideas as how to get him to stop?
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 10/29/2009 6:33:14 PM
Some dogs just arent comfortable eating around other dogs.  Dinner time should never be stressful and allowing other dogs in his space is doing just that.  Yes there are ways to fix these issues but my logic is why stress the dog.  As long as the food agression does not lap over to humans as well I would leave it alone.  Thats JMHO.  You can make your dog stop showing agression but it will not change the fact that he is stressed that the other dog is going to takes its food. 
heaventree

QUOTE 10/31/2009 8:31:23 AM
In the wild, the Alpha dog establishes his place by food and breeding.  The other person who responded is right, there is no need to stress the dog, unless it is impossible for you to get by without your dog attacking other animals.

I had a dog like this one time. I broke him by allowing him to eat his full first. Then, I refilled the bowl, made him sit, and watch the other dogs eat, petting and verbally praising him for good behavior.

In addition, since he was clearly the Alpha dog, I allowed him to eat (make sure he's on a leash or somewhat restricted) and I brought the other dog in to watch him eat. The other dog was scolded by going near the dish. The dog eating was scolded for showing aggressive behavior. This takes about 1 week for certain breeds. Just make sure that when you do this that you have help and someone to hold the dogs should they want to fight (and have a safe way to end the session should something go awry).  Good luck!
apbtlover

QUOTE 1/11/2010 7:51:20 PM
thanks for some tips! we've been working with ace alot and he has improved so much! i am able to feed all 4 dogs in the same room and after he eats i put him in a down stay till all the other dogs are done then when everyone is done he is released.
milohomer

QUOTE 2/18/2010 11:51:19 PM
Your dog must really like his food, and doesn't want anyone near it. Or he might not feel comfortable. Does  he even eat it or just want to guard it? Does he nip at you when you go near it? Good luck!!!!

Post Reply New Topic