Barking, and chewing

Barking, and chewing

deslilkbean

QUOTE 7/7/2009 12:48:44 AM
Hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old female pitman her name is Mia (american pit bull and doberman) she looks like a red dobie with white tipped toes.  She is very sweet and loving, but she barks 24/7 and chews everything in sight (she has chewed a whole couch and part of a bed).  I have tried lots of things to training and toys to medicine to help her calm down up nothing has worked yet and I am not sure how much more I can take I have a run outside for her so she is tied up most of the day and then in the evening I take her for a hour walk with play time inside the house but that is still not wearing her energy out.  If an one can help I'll take any advise at this stage. I just don't want to get rid of her, I don't have the heart for that.
dorieellwell

QUOTE 11/24/2009 6:59:56 PM
Found this on Google:

Why dogs bark:

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogtraining/qt/barkingdogs.htm

mercysmith

QUOTE 12/15/2009 4:46:09 AM
I think what your dog needs is proper training. You have to be firm or she be the one to dominate you.

With proper training it - "Establishes the groundwork which assists in preventing the development of unacceptable problem behavior - such as jumping up, barking, chewing, digging etc."

alryan

QUOTE 12/16/2009 3:14:35 AM
Your dog may be the over energetic type.

bxrsrgrt

QUOTE 12/29/2010 8:25:27 PM

Quote deslilkbean:

Hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old female pitman her name is Mia (american pit bull and doberman) she looks like a red dobie with white tipped toes.  She is very sweet and loving, but she barks 24/7 and chews everything in sight (she has chewed a whole couch and part of a bed).  I have tried lots of things to training and toys to medicine to help her calm down up nothing has worked yet and I am not sure how much more I can take I have a run outside for her so she is tied up most of the day and then in the evening I take her for a hour walk with play time inside the house but that is still not wearing her energy out.  If an one can help I'll take any advise at this stage. I just don't want to get rid of her, I don't have the heart for that.
Hello, it could be stress! Comfort zone with d.a.p. works great. Unless it's a chicuaua-I know I spelled that wrong-I have a few dogs and it worked on all my big dogs.
kathystone

QUOTE 1/2/2011 5:47:18 AM
 She is a mix of two high energy breeds. Keeping her tied up all day makes her frustrated. She sees things she would like to interact with  but  canot because she is tethered. Being only a dog, she has no way to understand her emotions or how to resolve the issues so she turns to chewing and barking as a way to release the energy. Can you take her to work with you? Can you put her at doggy day care? Imagine being in her shoes. She enjoys being with you then you leave. She sees other animals she would love to play with. She smells and hears things she would like to check out but cannot. Imagine wanting chocolate and living next to a chocolate factory. But you cannot afford  the high dollar chocolate made there. Sure you can buy a candy bar at the store but it is not the same. Would you not be driven crazy?

There are several toys on the market such as the KONG. You can fill them full of peanut butter or liver paste. She has to work to get the treat out. She sounds like a great dog in the wrong home and sometimes "love" cannot overcome that. 

Is she crazy about balls? She might make a good candidate for drug detection work or something similar. She needs a job and not to be tied up all day. 
malle

QUOTE 5/18/2011 7:56:20 AM
I think the dog needs a job to do - more activities for it. Try running with it, play, train etc. :)
allbreeds

QUOTE 7/9/2011 3:22:58 AM
Exersise your dog.It barks continuously ? and you go out side tell it to be quiet...If so you are just reinforcing what its doing.

Dont give it toys to chew !! toys couch bed they are all the same..all toys to the dog..Give it something to chew which is food eg rawhide strips ..marrow bones cut in half etc

Most of all exercise and training.

hamster456

QUOTE 12/16/2011 1:17:22 PM

Quote dorieellwell:

Found this on Google:

Why dogs bark:

http://dogs.about.com/od/dogtraining/qt/barkingdogs.htm

hey that's normal for puppy to do that
hamster456

QUOTE 12/16/2011 1:19:43 PM

Quote mercysmith:

I think what your dog needs is proper training. You have to be firm or she be the one to dominate you.

With proper training it - "Establishes the groundwork which assists in preventing the development of unacceptable problem behavior - such as jumping up, barking, chewing, digging etc."

hey go to goggle and tpye how train a puppy in 6 or more day write me bac if it works
hamster456

QUOTE 12/16/2011 1:21:01 PM

Quote alryan:

Your dog may be the over energetic type.

i think if just work harder u can do it
kathystone

QUOTE 12/16/2011 8:02:49 PM
 So it's been about 3 years since the first post. What happened? Did the dog "calm down"? It always amazes me when a person gets a dog on cuteness not realizing what else is involved. Sort of like getting a kid. If you are a resposible parent, you do not just play with it and put it in the crib to cry itself to sleep,,, although I have seen parents do that! No, I am not saying a child and a dog is the same thing( for your hard cases) but both requier commitment, time and energy if they are going to have the start of a happy life.

By the way, I never laughed so hard when I came home one day and my great dane had eaten a couch. The entire front room was filled wiht foam and fabric. She was sitting on the frame with a dead mouse in her jaws. Earlier that day I had set traps for the mouse. You couyld se she was conflicted. Did I do wrong or right? I thanked her for the mouse and  just cleaned up the mess. Later we went to the high dollar  side of town as it was trash day. We found a much nicer couch in the trash because it was country adn the home owner was switching to French Provincial.
sophia_dave101

QUOTE 1/22/2013 12:04:08 AM
There are a number of reasons why puppies love to chew whatever they can get their mouths on. Puppies have lots of energy, they're bored, they could be teething, and above all they are just plain curious.
legacybulldogs

QUOTE 2/17/2013 9:34:35 PM
I have several pup parents that put there pups in doggie daycare. You would be amazed at what twice a week will do. Prices are usually really afforable to, like twenty bucks a day.

Your dog is frustrated. The barking, chewing and digging are all signs of frustration. Even some basic obedience will help. Working her mind and giving her a job will help make her tired.

Both breeds the pit and the doberman are very high energy type dogs. They need something to stimulate them.

I raise American Bulldogs, much lower energy then both breeds but still they need something to stimulate them. I would bike with mine. So if you can't do a mile or two walk with her then a 20 min bike will wear her out.

Good Luck.

Post Reply New Topic