Please help with training!

Please help with training!

shoobythedog

QUOTE 6/14/2009 9:28:58 PM
My dog shooby,is a swett 3 year old. I have one promble though. He dose not know to many commands or manners. He only knows his name, sit and leave it.

Dose anyone know any other good training tecneces?
sorry for the typo.
leesagallo

QUOTE 6/16/2009 6:40:02 AM
Hi! You'll want to teach him with repetition. Such as:starting from sit position, tell him down, while bringing a flat hand from nose to floor(ground). Next time repeat this then take his front feet and while telling him down the 2nd time, bring him to a down position. Hold him down for @ 10 sec. petting him and telling him down so that you are confirming the command. then let him up for a few seconds praising him (don't get too enthusiastic or he'll be hard to settle) then repeat. Do this @ 5 times. Don't do it too long or he will lose interest. Do this every day. Tell him 1st, then enforce. If you tell him more than once before enforcing then he will test you thinking he can get away with not doing what you want. Always praise him for doing what you say. And anything you want to teach him, use the same steps. Repetition and consistancy is the key! GOOD LUCK!
shoobythedog

QUOTE 6/16/2009 3:10:38 PM
Thank you! I will try it!

Come here shooby, it's traing time!
kathystone

QUOTE 6/16/2009 6:58:23 PM
Watch the movie "FLUKE". The dog in that is a golden retriever who ended up at the dog pound at age 9 months as untrainable, destructive and hyperactive. When you watch the movie remember that EVERYTHING he does on screen is a cue from 20-30 feet away with hand signals only. He went on to be one of the most reliable film star dogs in the industry. Remember Family Ties? Same dog. On the set, if the humans screwed up too many times he would go over to them adn look at them then go back to fisrt position like as to say, " Morons!"
There are several good training books out there. I like "Don't Shoot the dog" by Karne Pryor as it gives several methods to teach the same behavior. You can yell at a hound and he will just look at you. If you yell at a poodle or some little yorkie he may respond by getting frightened. Not that you should ever yell at your dog but some training methods work well on one breed but not o another. The possibilities are endless. Good Luck
makedoo

QUOTE 6/17/2009 10:04:39 PM
PODY TRAIN. If your dog goes pee in those gently say no and VERY gently pat him on the back.If he poops in the houes same thing but dont throw it away. scoop it up with a shovel or bags and put it outside where you want him or her to go it will smell it and go.
STAY. Pretend you have treat by fisting your hand.Make sure his or her eyes our on you gently say stay (NAME)Then praise or GENTLY scold a firm no is fine.
BITE HABBIT.If her him bites you or things and chews constanlly not gentle but not to bad just NO a little louder in a firm voice then pat on the head.
BARKING WHEN DOOR BELL RINGS.Get a friend or parent to knock on your bedroom door.With your puppy in there when it barks say no and fist your havd like you have a treat and when he or she stops barking praise A LOT!If there is anything else you need post it and I will tell you more
maligirl1

QUOTE 6/18/2009 7:11:32 AM
to POTTY train be consistent-take them to the same place as much as you can.
don't fist your hand with a treat in it.show them the treat and try the command you want them to do.the dog needs to see the treat to make the connection.also be consistent with training.don't scold them, they need to have a firm hand but don't scold them.
makedoo

QUOTE 6/18/2009 7:38:38 PM

Quote maligirl1:

to POTTY train be consistent-take them to the same place as much as you can.
don't fist your hand with a treat in it.show them the treat and try the command you want them to do.the dog needs to see the treat to make the connection.also be consistent with training.don't scold them, they need to have a firm hand but don't scold them.
gbat1stop

QUOTE 6/19/2009 10:13:24 AM

Quote makedoo:

I agree with Maligirl, Do not "pretend" to have a treat you need to have an actual treat to praise them for good behavior.

As for patting them on the back and head, is this a punishment of some sort? I do NOT agree with this method AT ALL!!!!!
miracletacos

QUOTE 6/26/2009 10:10:55 PM
Lots of treats and patience and praise and discipline...

Watch Animal Planet when "its me or the dog" comes on..

shes a good trainer, I love her.

Good luck
lovedemdogs

QUOTE 6/27/2009 7:44:53 PM
**Post removed
makedoo

QUOTE 6/28/2009 3:24:42 PM
thanks for telling me my training thingy was very wrong i have only trained strays
cheriegil009

QUOTE 11/24/2009 5:24:46 PM
I found this nice "play dead" trick on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk1pOUb8a_g

rob45

QUOTE 1/29/2010 8:48:26 PM
Try with some dog boarding and training center.
I was skeptic before(expensive) but it turned ok for my puppy.
But whatever you decide don't wait too long, he could get too old...

Post Reply New Topic