great dane hiccups

great dane hiccups

princessleeloo

QUOTE 8/20/2006 11:53:28 AM
i have a new great dane puppy. she is a great little girl. only 7 weeks old. i was just wondering if it is ok that she gets the hiccups all the time?? they dont seem to bother her, but does this mean that i dont have her bowls up high enough?
thanks
poodleparis

QUOTE 8/20/2006 1:57:23 PM
No need to worry. Hiccups are common for dogs, especially puppies since they tend to take in lots of air while eating and/or drinking.
rescuewench

QUOTE 8/20/2006 5:51:10 PM
hi
congrats on your new pup.

all i will say here is to be CAREFUL when feeding - feed SMALL amounts of food - and do NOT allow exercise 1 hour before or after feeding- watch water intake depending on the type of food.

DANES are PRONE to BLOAT..
as are most deep chested dogs..
some swear by the elevated feeding tables - some swear against them..
- so i cant advise you theer.

BUT ... keep gas X and tums in your dog ER bag.

at any sign of bloating .. give tums and if no relief do teh gas X and get to vet right away.

the good thing is tehhiccuping is getting teh gas OUT.

( my boxer farts - but it also gets the as out)

research bloat in danes and just watch for that problem.

i hope you have many great years with your dane.

i always wanted one but i cant handle the short life span. :(

- so as much as i LOVE the giant breeds i tend to avoid them.

RW
yankeelab

QUOTE 8/20/2006 5:55:43 PM

Quote princessleeloo:

i have a new great dane puppy. she is a great little girl. only 7 weeks old. i was just wondering if it is ok that she gets the hiccups all the time?? they dont seem to bother her, but does this mean that i dont have her bowls up high enough?
thanks
Congrats on the new puppy! Im jealous!!!! Not sure about the hiccups but it looks like the question was already answered though, But yeah about canine bloat definitely keep RW's advice in mind, thats a serious thing. I had to take my lab puppy to the emergency vet because we thought the had it because he was like the blueberry from willy wonka, turns out i guess he got in to the dog food and just ate until he was literally about to pop. Scary stuff.
rescuewench

QUOTE 8/20/2006 6:04:16 PM
and the MORE i thnk about it hiccups would actually SEEM to make teh dog swallow MORW air then its letting OUT

i would see a VET asap.

as air in tummy will cause bloat.

just be careful.

RW
maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/20/2006 6:40:32 PM

Quote princessleeloo:

thanks
Our Great Dane had hiccups all the time and she was never bothered with bloat. However it is true that its a big killer of Danes and other deep chested dogs so you should know all you can know about it.
maryanddobes

QUOTE 8/20/2006 7:38:48 PM
Doberman puppies commonly have the hiccups. They just grow out of it. We don't think anything of it.
meltippie

QUOTE 8/21/2006 7:05:45 AM
Congrats on new pup but fair warning, I was attacked while pregnant by a great dane my neighbor owned 6 years ago. It almost killed my unborn child and put me in the hospital with pre-term labor then bed rest for 7 weeks. and the owners didnt do ANYTHING!!!!! They actually fought the town I lived in to let them keep this dog. Not long after that happened to me it got out and did the same thing to a 4 year old little boy up the street. Still the owners would not put this dog down. It was taken by the dog warden, but then returned if they kept it in a cage 100% of the time and the owners did. I guess there are some really stupid people out there and guess what they own BIG MEAN dogs. The parents of the little boy sued and won I was just happy to have got to have my daughter. We then moved. Please train that dog right. That breed is known without the proper training to get mean.
rescuewench

QUOTE 8/21/2006 9:58:40 AM

Quote meltippie:

Congrats on new pup but fair warning, I was attacked while pregnant by a great dane my neighbor owned 6 years ago. It almost killed my unborn child and put me in the hospital with pre-term labor then bed rest for 7 weeks. and the owners didnt do ANYTHING!!!!! They actually fought the town I lived in to let them keep this dog. Not long after that happened to me it got out and did the same thing to a 4 year old little boy up the street. Still the owners would not put this dog down. It was taken by the dog warden, but then returned if they kept it in a cage 100% of the time and the owners did. I guess there are some really stupid people out there and guess what they own BIG MEAN dogs. The parents of the little boy sued and won I was just happy to have got to have my daughter. We then moved. Please train that dog right. That breed is known without the proper training to get mean.
i have never met a single "mean" DANE in my entire LONG life.

they are known as gentle giants, and are NOTHING like what they were orignally bred to be or DO.

I am sorry about you being attacked but - i would assume either that dog was MADE to be like that by a totaly irresponsible owner- or there was something wrong with teh dogs BRAIN.

i walk into pounds, in the cages , with danes all the time , never hesitated never once have even had one threaten me.

i really dont buy that they are dangerous dogs in general.

RW

maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/21/2006 12:13:10 PM

Quote rescuewench:

i have never met a single "mean" DANE in my entire LONG life.

they are known as gentle giants, and are NOTHING like what they were orignally bred to be or DO.

I am sorry about you being attacked but - i would assume either that dog was MADE to be like that by a totaly irresponsible owner- or there was something wrong with teh dogs BRAIN.

i walk into pounds, in the cages , with danes all the time , never hesitated never once have even had one threaten me.

i really dont buy that they are dangerous dogs in general.

RW

I love Great Danes (Alexis was my baby) however I have met several poorly trained, poor temerment Danes. My husband and I as Dane lovers have gone to dog show after dog show to watch this wonderful breed. We've visited countless breeders and talk to every Dane owner we meet or see on the street. We had thought about adopting a Dane but at least at this time have desided against it. Temerment is an issue and we live in an area with a great many little kids who don't respect yard boundries. As adults we have been snapped at growled at and I've been bit, by a Great Dane. A few years back when visiting a couples home to see about adopting their GD our son was attacked by their dog. Thankfully he was sitting next to my husband and my husband was able to get between the dog and our son before he was hurt. I've lived and breathed dogs for most of my life and made them my biz for the last 14 years. My children know how to act and how not to act around dogs. Our son was sitting quitely on the floor next to my husbands legs with his legs crossed and his hands in his lap, he had done nothing to provoke the dog. Only after this happend did the owners addmit this is why they were getting rid of the dog. :(

Just like any other breed of dog poor breeding and poor up bringing can lead to a mean Dane. Socilization at an early age is very important.

My husband and I believe that early socilization of Danes with Children of all ages is very important.

I still love the Great Dane breed and still seek them out when ever I see them. We will have another Dane.

princessleeloo

QUOTE 8/21/2006 12:57:35 PM
i thank everyone for thier reply's. My puppy leeloo is hiccuping as well as farting and there is no signs of anything else being wrong with her, she is eating and drinking fine.
in response to the people who said danes can be vicious. i would like to point out that any and all breeds can do this wether it be a mini teacup something or a german shepard... i have two small children ages two and three and they love the new dog, and she more then tolerates them. i have every intention of training her properly her commands and her knowing that we humans are the alpha's of the "pack". and i am already socializing her to be around many other people and pets. people who are not knowledgable and dont take the time to train their dogs end up with dogs who attack and are mean to people. danes are a very sensitive dog, and if they are not trained with love, and instead are so called trained with harshness are gonna grown up to be agressive. i am sorry that these people experianced attacks from these dogs. they are actually known to be very gentle loveing dogs, who are very loyal to thier owners and good with children!
thank you all for your imputs
leeloo's owner
apbtlover

QUOTE 8/21/2006 1:20:00 PM

Quote rescuewench:

hi
congrats on your new pup.

all i will say here is to be CAREFUL when feeding - feed SMALL amounts of food - and do NOT allow exercise 1 hour before or after feeding- watch water intake depending on the type of food.

DANES are PRONE to BLOAT..
as are most deep chested dogs..
some swear by the elevated feeding tables - some swear against them..
- so i cant advise you theer.

BUT ... keep gas X and tums in your dog ER bag.

at any sign of bloating .. give tums and if no relief do teh gas X and get to vet right away.

the good thing is tehhiccuping is getting teh gas OUT.

( my boxer farts - but it also gets the as out)

research bloat in danes and just watch for that problem.

i hope you have many great years with your dane.

i always wanted one but i cant handle the short life span. :(

- so as much as i LOVE the giant breeds i tend to avoid them.

RW
RW- i didnt know you could give dogs tums?
i know greyhounds are know to get bloat to and i have read up on the signs and prevention of it.
so does tums work for a greyhound too? and when would you give to the dog?
rescuewench

QUOTE 8/21/2006 1:45:09 PM

Quote apbtlover:

RW- i didnt know you could give dogs tums?
i know greyhounds are know to get bloat to and i have read up on the signs and prevention of it.
so does tums work for a greyhound too? and when would you give to the dog?
yes my boxer LOVES the fruit flavored tums.. and she gets them often, to avoid bloat and because she bolts her food- ( a BIG no no- and that can lead to bloat)but thankfully ( i guess) she is a HUGE farter & burper and i never had her blaot.

i keep tums on hand YES but also
GAS X -- i have stopped many a gsd from fully bloating to the point of torsion by as soon as i see the belly swelling up i does them with GAS X. knock on wood i never had a dog go to FULL torsion.

after administering GAS X if that belly doesnt stop - i race to the vets.

only did that once and by the time i got there the dog was fine.
( again knock on wood)

but i always have my handy dandy first aid kit on hand for my dogs & cats.

RW

micdobe

QUOTE 8/21/2006 4:11:50 PM
Sometimes roundworms will cause a puppy to hiccup, I have had this experience. So my advice would be to have your vet run a fecal to check. And while he's at it, he should give the puppy a phyiscal checkup in general, just to try to make sure there's not some other problem.

I don't know if other types of parasites cause hiccups, or if it's just roundworms. My first puppy was a GSD from a free ad in the newspaper, she was loaded with roundworms, but I didn't know to have her checked, and my first clue there was a problem was chronic hiccuping. Later I read about the roundworms and hiccups.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 8/21/2006 4:11:52 PM

Quote princessleeloo:

i thank everyone for thier reply's. My puppy leeloo is hiccuping as well as farting and there is no signs of anything else being wrong with her, she is eating and drinking fine.
in response to the people who said danes can be vicious. i would like to point out that any and all breeds can do this wether it be a mini teacup something or a german shepard... i have two small children ages two and three and they love the new dog, and she more then tolerates them. i have every intention of training her properly her commands and her knowing that we humans are the alpha's of the "pack". and i am already socializing her to be around many other people and pets. people who are not knowledgable and dont take the time to train their dogs end up with dogs who attack and are mean to people. danes are a very sensitive dog, and if they are not trained with love, and instead are so called trained with harshness are gonna grown up to be agressive. i am sorry that these people experianced attacks from these dogs. they are actually known to be very gentle loveing dogs, who are very loyal to thier owners and good with children!
thank you all for your imputs
leeloo's owner
You may want to look at what your feeding her. Often some foods will cause excess gas.

Just for the record:
At no time did I say Great Danes are vicious. I just wanted to point out both sides of the story. I also like you pointed out that all breeds of dogs can be poorly trained.

Socializing a Great Dane with your children is good but you also need to socialize it with other children, outside its pack.

I'm sure your dog will grow up to be a wonderful loving friend that you will have years of enjoyment with.

Good luck enjoy!
princessleeloo

QUOTE 8/21/2006 5:13:40 PM
thank you all for your interest in this. i will definatly try the tums angle. She has a check with the vet to get shots and all that good stuff this coming up week, so i shall talk to the vet about the hiccups and it being linked to roundworms.
we are socializing her to other people by walking her to a park just down our back hill and her meeting all the neighbour kids and their pets!
as for what we feed her she had been on iams large breed puppy food which i looked into and is not that great of a food, so we switched to blue buffalo large breed puppy food, i am weaning her gently from one to the other. it could be that the old food is what is causeing the hiccups?.. no?
thanks
_dogs_rule_

QUOTE 8/21/2006 5:42:38 PM
Congratulations on your new family pet. I hope for nothing but the best of times. All dogs have the potential to be vico=ious, it is mostly dependant on the owner, and from what I have read, you seem to be a very kowledgable owner, who will train her dog to be to its best potential.

As for the hiccups, I think if you do what RW does you'll be fine.

Welcome To The Board
emlee3

QUOTE 8/21/2006 6:15:03 PM

Quote meltippie:

i agree with RW i've never seen or heard of a mean great dane. i've seen a couple in the stores and they were always sweet to my dog (even after she's jumping all over them) but i guess ANY dog can be mean w/o the proper training. sorry to hear you had a unforunate incident with great danes.

to the op: when i first got my dog she would ALWAYS have hiccups...even after she was treated with parasites..i think the problem was that she was eating way too fast and the bowl was on the ground. i've heard that if you get a food stand..one of those things that can elevate the food bowl to where its eye level with the dog than it will get rid of hiccups.
congrats on your dog..i love great danes.
caheck

QUOTE 8/21/2006 8:12:04 PM
The hiccups are really nothing to worry about. My dane had them a lot as a younger puppy but is outgrowing them. And in all the research I've done, I've never heard of them contributing to bloat.

HOWEVER...bloat and torsion (GDV) are definitely something you need to keep an eye out for. Nearly 50% of Danes will bloat at some point in their lifetime. While the bloat can kill them, it's the torsioning that's the quick killer. Since you mentioned she is a female, look into having a belt loop gastropexy done at the same time you have her spayed. This is a preventative surgery if done before bloat (emergency after) and will prevent the stomach from twisting and cutting off blood supplies. Since the vet will already have the dog under and the abdominal cavity open, it's a perfect time to have the gastropexy done.
raindancer1

QUOTE 11/28/2008 9:34:58 PM
Yay!!! A Great Dane is a most wonderful pet to have! Our Dane (Athena) has bouts of chronic hiccups too...they will last for two or three days for a few minutes to maybe an hour. I used to get ridiculously stressed about it due to the fact that we almost lost her a year ago to bloat (see other comments regarding bloat). So basically ANYTHING that seems out of the ordinary is cause for me to freak out. However, we have found a few things that work: Gas X, Pepto Bismol (the pills) and she has been switched over to a completely raw meat diet (with veggies). Since switching to a raw diet, she is a much healthier dog...her coat is super shiny, her poops are MUCH smaller (my hubby loves that!), her teeth have to be cleaned less and the chances of bloat are greatly reduced due to the fact that raw foods have no "fillers". I also recommend elevating your Dane's water bowl so they swallow less air while drinking. Best of luck with your sweetie!!
Post Reply New Topic