Beagle Basset Hound mix. Question

Beagle Basset Hound mix. Question

mikebobcat

QUOTE 6/29/2007 4:17:31 PM
Courtney is my beagle-basset. If you want to read the story about her sad beginning, please go to floridabassetrescue.com and on the left side of page go to success stories, and read about Courtney ..she has recovered completely as you see at the bottom of the artiacle!

Courtney is the gentlest sweetest dog we've ever owned. She also has a split face, half brown, half white, very cool.

She is soo laid back personality wise, loves all kids, dogs, adults and cats. She is everyone's friend. Very rarely does she bark, very ununusual for a hound. She does make lots of cute sounds, and she sighs like a person when she wants something, like when she wants to go for a walk! ha ha

zoesmum

QUOTE 6/29/2007 4:53:27 PM

Quote romandoggie:

I just adopted a 3-4 year old Beagle/Basset (Bagle). He is lazy! But he is the sweetest dog ever and I couldn't be happier. he loves to cuddle. he also loves to go on walks (just so long as they aren't too long or if it's too hot! haha) Every dog is different though. Just thought I'd let you know how much I love my bagle!
I love the "bagle" ... I could come up with a cute name for my mutt ... but it would sound no where as cute as bagle. !! I agree with not wanting BY and puppy mills, but a mutt is a mutt, and if it is adopted, we should be able to call them whatever we want. We aren't naming them as a new breed - just being cute!!!
2pupmom

QUOTE 6/29/2007 5:28:51 PM
I swear, it is so interesting to read all of these posts!

Here is my 2 cents...

"Bagle" among all the other made up names, in my opinion are just plain silly. If you had just a dog (Basset,Beagle, or something else) and named it Bagel, then that could be cute. But I do think that all these made up names are to make BYB and pet stores more popular so they can SELL the mixes/mutts for a lot of money! It is so true about finding these mixes in shelters. Just look!

I do not think people are attacking the OP. We all just feel very strongly about this issue. Even though she bought the pup already, she can still learn about what is going on and how she got dooped.
miarob

QUOTE 6/29/2007 6:56:46 PM

Quote 2pupmom:

I swear, it is so interesting to read all of these posts!

Here is my 2 cents...

"Bagle" among all the other made up names, in my opinion are just plain silly. If you had just a dog (Basset,Beagle, or something else) and named it Bagel, then that could be cute. But I do think that all these made up names are to make BYB and pet stores more popular so they can SELL the mixes/mutts for a lot of money! It is so true about finding these mixes in shelters. Just look!

I do not think people are attacking the OP. We all just feel very strongly about this issue. Even though she bought the pup already, she can still learn about what is going on and how she got dooped.
100%. It's like the pedophiles who belong to MBLA (Man Boy Love Association), they 'love' the boys not molest them! When you give something a cute name you make it legitimate, and mutts and pedophiles ain't' either! I meet someone I know at Target today and she asked me where she could get a "Puggipoo", I thought I would vomit
rescuewench

QUOTE 6/30/2007 9:22:52 AM

Quote miarob:

100%. It's like the pedophiles who belong to MBLA (Man Boy Love Association), they 'love' the boys not molest them! When you give something a cute name you make it legitimate, and mutts and pedophiles ain't' either! I meet someone I know at Target today and she asked me where she could get a "Puggipoo", I thought I would vomit
MBLA is REAL? i thought south park made that up!!

OMG! i cannot believe what some people will do . you you THINK he members of THAT club were watched VERY carefully good grief!
muttmom

QUOTE 6/30/2007 11:30:43 AM
For the people getting all defensive about the board members telling you that your "bagles" and "Pompoos" and "Schnoodles" and whatever other ridiculous names you or anyone else give them, are mutts, from a denotative, literal sense, they most certainly are. To the dictionary we go!
According to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/

Mutt (noun) a dog, esp. a mongrel.

for sh*ts and giggles, let's see what they mean by mongrel.

Mongrel (noun) a dog of mixed or indeterminate breed

Oh! Hey! look at that. a dog of mixed OR indeterminate breed. So, you mean if i take my hypothetical Chihuahua, and mate it with my equally hypothetical Irish Wolfhound, i wont get a new breed?!?!!? OH EM GEE. It'll just be a mutt, the same as if i had gone to a shelter and saved the life of some random dog who would have been euthanized eventually otherwise. What a novel concept!

The point is, all these asinine, cutesy names are a SELLING TOOL, nothing more. These are NOT new breeds. People are using them to MARKET their mutt puppies so that ignorant (do not read STUPID, that is not what i meant. dont make me post more definitions! i'll do it!) people looking for the newest cool thing will be astounded and lured in to see the new Knick-Knack-Paddy-Whack puppies that John Doe "Breeder" up the street has "created." Quite frankly, JD should be slapped and his dogs neutered.
If you want to financially support some 's efforts to further the overpopulation of dogs in this country, and surely this world, then you know what, you go right ahead. I hope you sleep well at night while perfectly good dogs shiver and tremble in the shelters, *I* will because both of my MUTTS are shelter MUTTS and I love them dearly. Im done.

kardinal12

QUOTE 9/17/2007 9:52:08 PM
My wife and I responded to an ad in the paper for a beagle for sale. When we got there ( he was a pup ) he looked a little over weight. We since have realized he is a beagle/basset mix. He is one of the most enjoyable dogs either of us has ever had. Can someone help us with how much he should weigh when full grown. He looks fat but it could be the basset in him. Thanks for the help.
maoseger1010

QUOTE 9/18/2007 6:08:38 AM

Quote kardinal12:

My wife and I responded to an ad in the paper for a beagle for sale. When we got there ( he was a pup ) he looked a little over weight. We since have realized he is a beagle/basset mix. He is one of the most enjoyable dogs either of us has ever had. Can someone help us with how much he should weigh when full grown. He looks fat but it could be the basset in him. Thanks for the help.
You know its really hard to say. Because he is a mix you will just have to play it by ear. Talk with your vet and have your vet judge his bone structure to see if he favors the beagle bones or basset bones. That will help you determine the right weight for him.

Welcome to the board.
lovebug90

QUOTE 11/3/2007 12:05:27 PM
i got a beagle/ basset hound mix from the SPCA and he is 3 months old and hes not really hyper but he does love to play with my other dog but i just found out yesterday he had got kennel cough from them and brought it home to my other dog. but they do eat alot and they do tend to use the bathroom alot. but they are so lovable and sweet. they are perfect, the dog was got for me for my birthday and it lives with my grandparents and teenagers and another dog and 2 cats and they are sooo calm, he was the perfect choice. with all dogs get it tested for parvo and distemper after you get the dog cause its highly deadly. but good luck on your dog and any questions feel free to ask!
bellakat

QUOTE 12/15/2007 4:01:12 PM
I absolutely love my bagle. Billy the Bagle Hound is five years old and weighs 50lbs. He has the best temperament of any dog I've ever had, and he is so bright! I do see some of the basset stubbornness, and he loves to howl, but his personality makes it all worth while. Good luck with your bagle. They're great dogs.
kateram

QUOTE 12/31/2007 6:05:06 PM
About a year ago I adopted a beagle/basset hound mix from a local shelter. Suzie is about 8 years old and she is the BEST dog I've ever had! I'm not sure if she really is a beagle/bassett hound mix though -- she's only about 20 pounds. She is a total lap dog and wants nothing more than to sit on my lap. It's a great mix!
crazyconfusedgirl

QUOTE 1/9/2008 4:36:46 PM
I have a Basset Hound/Beagle too!! I named him Oscar Meyer, becauses he's more a Basset Hound, with an extremely long torso. I went 20 miles away to get him at a shelter, just because it was a no-kill while, my hometown limits to 9 days. He was the only dog at the shelter not barking or jumping around, he was just sitting there, looking up at me. So, I HAD to get him.

Anyway, He is very lovable and gentle. Really good with other dogs and cats and children also. He's bark is loud and booming, yet i rarely hear it. He extremely friendly, to the point he doesn't bark at people at the door or at noise (we have a doberman pincher to do that). He's about 4 or 5 and we FINALLY just got him fully house broken (we got him when he was 1 going on 2) So he is the greatest dog. But sometimes he can act so stupid and stuborn i want to scream, but i could never get really mad at him because he is sooo cute.

But...he IS part beagle....so he runs away when ever he gets the chance...which makes me worry because we live on a busy country road. We've tried TONS of different collars and tie outs. We finally got to a harness which works good...for a while. Until he figured out how to yank, then back out of it....so much for being stupid...

we don't have the money to fence in the yard....

what should i do?

i've tried to train him over and over, with multible different techniques.

they just aren't working...
slmedley

QUOTE 4/1/2008 6:48:43 PM
I have a Beagle Basset mix, and she is wild, she loves to play, and run and jump, she is not lazy by any stretch of the imagination.
mama_jamiesue

QUOTE 4/3/2008 7:54:41 PM
hey evey1... i'm new 2 the page, but i had some questions. my hubby is in the army. he's currently deployed to iraq. he gets back in jan of 09 and has promised our 2 year old daughter that he'll get her a dog. i've been doing research and i think a bagel (beagel-bassit hound mix) would be great, but y'all sound like experienced dog owners what do you think? i'm a stay at home mom (so i have the time), our dughter will be 3 and our son will be 1 when we get the dog (and we r so not done having kids), we have a 3 bedroom house, and a good size front and backyard. getting a pet is a big responsibility and i understand that. i wanna pick an animal we'll have for the rest of it's life... pets r not disposable to me but my biggest concern is the kids... so what'd ya think? thanxx
sasa24510

QUOTE 4/4/2008 1:38:31 PM

Quote mysticcrystal:

Guys! I bet he/she does not like to be yelled at! If your not going to give peaceful, nice advise don't give any at all!

I say it is too young to really determine if it will be too lazy or not
I totally agree. He/she only asked our opinion on if it would be lazy or hyper!! Don't lecture about thier puppy preference!
It is probably too early to tell, I rescued my dog from a shelter when she was about four months old, and she didn't do anything but sleep on my bed (she was a little underfed) for the first three months I had her... NOW she bounces off the walls!! Have fun with your puppy, and let us know how it turns out!
mama_jamiesue

QUOTE 4/5/2008 4:29:32 PM
since we're thinking about getting a bagel... i wanted to ask other bagel owners what they think. we have 2 kids ages 4 and 1. i'm a stay at home mom so i have all they time in the world and i'll be home a lot. what do y'all think???
trayne9465

QUOTE 4/23/2008 6:32:12 PM
I purposely resqued Beau, he is a beagle bassett mix. He is the most active dog that I have every seen. He will play fetch, he will do alot of things that most dogs do.

He is extremely loveable... but even if he were lazy, I would still love that adorable little face with the long ears, precious sad eyes.

This is my second bassett beagle, both have been the light of my life.

Don't worry about playing fetch, just learn to love her..you won't regret it.
moggie

QUOTE 4/23/2008 8:49:12 PM
i do not believe in or condone purposely mixing beagles and bassetts, however, i think the owner has the right to call it bagel or whatever she wants too. she paid wayyyyy too much for this mix ( i prefer this word to the mutt word) since bassetts are usually 300.00 or less and beagles are usually 100.00 or less. with this said...however the breeding took place, by accident or by purpose..absolutely NO puppy should be advertised free!! NEVER!!! under any circumstances!! there are preditors out there just lurking to go around and pick up any and all free dogs and puppies...you dog experts should be well aware of this...in this situation..the shelters would be a godsend for the welfare of the dog.
perfectpom

QUOTE 4/23/2008 11:50:20 PM

Quote moggie:

i do not believe in or condone purposely mixing beagles and bassetts, however, i think the owner has the right to call it bagel or whatever she wants too. she paid wayyyyy too much for this mix ( i prefer this word to the mutt word) since bassetts are usually 300.00 or less and beagles are usually 100.00 or less. with this said...however the breeding took place, by accident or by purpose..absolutely NO puppy should be advertised free!! NEVER!!! under any circumstances!! there are preditors out there just lurking to go around and pick up any and all free dogs and puppies...you dog experts should be well aware of this...in this situation..the shelters would be a godsend for the welfare of the dog.
You don't condone or believe in purposely mixing beagles and basetts, however you do condone and believe in mixing poodles and malti's...please help me understand????
perfectpom

QUOTE 4/26/2008 9:54:50 PM
Post Reply New Topic