Purina Beneful Dog Food

Purina Beneful Dog Food

diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 11:27:18 AM
jrock.. i wouldnt call some one a bad pet owner just because they cant afford a $35 bag of pooch food. im a 24 year old working girl and ive got bills up the ying yang.. i do not spend $35 a bag/ but i do give my dog EVERYTHING she needs to be happy and healthy. i think a dog is better off being with a family that can feed it(economic friendly food) and give it love rather than be stuck in a shelter, alone & unloved.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 11:32:04 AM
Regardless of who's said what, the next time I turn my dogs out on a farm and they start chowing down happily on CORN, I'll be sure let you know. That's basically what they're doing when you feed your dog low quality kibble, except they wouldn't know because it's been flavored over with the putrid, leftover carcass of who-knows-what.
jrock_at_rons

QUOTE 7/25/2005 12:48:26 PM

Quote diggerkristin:

jrock.. i wouldnt call some one a bad pet owner just because they cant afford a $35 bag of pooch food. im a 24 year old working girl and ive got bills up the ying yang.. i do not spend $35 a bag/ but i do give my dog EVERYTHING she needs to be happy and healthy. i think a dog is better off being with a family that can feed it(economic friendly food) and give it love rather than be stuck in a shelter, alone & unloved.
DIGGER... I'm with you (although I could have worded it better... I was trying to be sarcastic). I think that the best owners are the ones that have to scrape by to give their pet a home. Dogs wouldn't be eating 'Royal Golden' or 'Dog Food for the Dog-snobs Soul' on the streets... let alone Iams (which is what we feed our pup).

Having a loving home and a decent meal is whats most important for your pooch... not buying the most expensive food on the market so you can waste your days on a pet message board looking down your nose at those who either can't (or don't feel the need to) buy gourmet dog kibble.

diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:35:54 PM
sorry jrock.. im usually quick to pick up on sarcasm. and i must say that i couldnt agree with you more. my dog loves her beneful *GASP*
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:40:06 PM
Don't worry. I'm sure that if you still choose to feed Iamsickly, Pukanuba, Hills Science Experiment, Ol Roy's Got Cancer, etc. when you know what the cons are of doing so your dog will love you all the same.
kimber0405

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:43:56 PM

Quote kayzhond:

Someone here is actually feeding their dog Beneful. Sorry, Beneful by Purina is "junk" food.

The main ingredients are ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal. Do you know what chicken by-product is?

According to the AAFCO, it consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Chicken by-products are much less expensive and less digestible than the chicken muscle meat. The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that by-products consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "by-product", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "by-product" dumpster.

Not to mention corn gluten? Corn gluten is a different matter. "Gluten" is the protein part of a grain (some grains have more than others, as many gluten-intolerant people can tell you) and is often used as a protein filler in cheap food products. You will find that most products that contain corn gluten as a main ingredient don't have particularly high quality meat sources either.

And if you think chicken by-product's bad we won't go into animal digest, which is also in Beneful.

Dried peas, dried carrots are also bad ingredients.

Seriously, would you eat Purina Beneful yourself?
what kind of food do you feed your dogs? i use nutro max... i'm sure you have something to say about that too so let me have it.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:50:28 PM
You didn't ask me, Kimber, but I have fed Nutro products before. Max is their lower end option. If you'd be willing to switch to Nutro Natural Choice, you'd be doing your dogs a big favor. I just switched my dogs from Nutro Natural Choice Ultra to Innova Puppy, but would still recommend the right Nutro brand over other brands for people who don't want to get all the way into "holistic" kibble.

kimber0405

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:54:10 PM

Quote envypoodlecollection:

You didn't ask me, Kimber, but I have fed Nutro products before. Max is their lower end option. If you'd be willing to switch to Nutro Natural Choice, you'd be doing your dogs a big favor. I just switched my dogs from Nutro Natural Choice Ultra to Innova Puppy, but would still recommend the right Nutro brand over other brands for people who don't want to get all the way into "holistic" kibble.

i asked him/her because he/she is very opinionated about everything, or so it seems....

i'm not opposed to switching to natural choice and almost went with that...but their sales rep was there and told me the max was better, it's certainly more expensive, at least in my town.

tell me the differences if you can.
diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:55:06 PM

Quote envypoodlecollection:

Don't worry. I'm sure that if you still choose to feed Iamsickly, Pukanuba, Hills Science Experiment, Ol Roy's Got Cancer, etc. when you know what the cons are of doing so your dog will love you all the same.
yawn
the creativity is slacking
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 1:56:21 PM
So are your typing skills, Kristin.
diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:03:46 PM
care to explain?
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:06:47 PM
Well, at least you punctuated that last post. Can't you find the shift key? LOL
diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:13:02 PM
its funny because my handwriting is all capitals, but when i type im too lazy to focus on grammar or shift keys or capslock. but look i used a comma and a period that time
4theloveofmycocker

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:13:38 PM
Now people are insulting each others intelligence and typing skills. This thread is getting more and more interesting every time I read it.
diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:15:34 PM

Quote 4theloveofmycocker:

Now people are insulting each others intelligence and typing skills. This thread is getting more and more interesting every time I read it.
its all in good fun
u should join
im sure you would be amused
anyone who takes this seriously needs to step back and take a reality check
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:16:28 PM
LOL I'm just teasing, really, trying to take a little heat off of the dog food before it starts burning.
4theloveofmycocker

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:21:53 PM
Ladies, I'm laughing so much when reading these posts. I'm sure it's all in good fun, but sometimes people do get heated over such silly things. Envy, it's good your trying to take the heat off the Dog Food.
lucylou2

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:24:20 PM
Just because someone doesn't have the money to buy the most expensive dog food doesn't make them a bad person/pet owner! I really don't understand all the Holier than Thou attitudes?
diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:28:15 PM

Quote lucylou2:

Just because someone doesn't have the money to buy the most expensive dog food doesn't make them a bad person/pet owner! I really don't understand all the Holier than Thou attitudes?
heeeereeee we go again..
we were all just starting to get over it
ROUUUUUUND 2 *DingDing*
ill start...

i feed my dog dirt
because its free
and it has lots of nutrients, especially when i get a nice long earthworm in it.. mm mm good
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/25/2005 2:30:19 PM
We're all just kidding around, lucylou, it's okay! What someone chooses to feed their dog with all the information out there to help them is of course their decision.

Post Reply New Topic