Purina Beneful Dog Food

Purina Beneful Dog Food

kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 7:50:31 PM

Quote noskiveez:

I wouldn't feed my dogs that yucko food. I buy premium dog food. I pay more for it, I can understand someone not being able to afford paying a dollar per lb for food. when I was having financial hardship, I went without things for myself in ordr to feed my dogs quality food. I'd pack a luch rather than buy a lunch that would cost me 8 bucks. I might be weird or what ever, but it is 8 bucks that could have been spent on the dogs.
Considering some cant pay for good dog food for their dogs....It makes me wonder if they are enjoying cable tv programming, cell phones, using an isp that isn't free... these things are luxuries, so is having a dog. Why not feed it like it is a luxury? with you on this subj.

I knew I'd be giving up stuff so that my pets could eat better.

I'm NOT saying everyone has to feed Solid Gold or Innvova but there ARE lower-end holistic foods they coudld be feeding like Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Back to Basics, Royal Canin, and the like that are a little more affordable than say, Solid Gold, and they can still be doing better nutritionally.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 7:52:51 PM

Quote angelcare:

So let's see most people spend about $400 or more a month on food for themselves. And you are complaining about the price of dog food? When is the last time you got 20lbs of food for $22.00? If you really cared about your pet you wouldn't try to skimp and save on something as important as food by buying whetever is cheapest "because it's just a dog". If you think of your dog that way maybe you shouldn't have one.

Nicely put.
animalluver8

QUOTE 7/22/2005 8:35:38 PM

Quote anasazi:

I agree... Geez, look how much our parents went without to get us (kids) the finer things in life.. at least my parents did.. My dogs are my kids.. I would go without to give them the best. If I had kids, I would do the same.
I mean, what is all this, "My dog is an outside dog", "As long as it's dog food, it's what my dog its" stuff? Why the heck do you HAVE a dog if your gonna do and say stuff ike that? Maybe some people misunderstood my last post. I LOVE my dogs very, very much--if I didn't, why would I have them?
animalluver8

QUOTE 7/22/2005 8:38:25 PM

Quote kayzhond:

I knew I'd be giving up stuff so that my pets could eat better.

I'm NOT saying everyone has to feed Solid Gold or Innvova but there ARE lower-end holistic foods they coudld be feeding like Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Back to Basics, Royal Canin, and the like that are a little more affordable than say, Solid Gold, and they can still be doing better nutritionally.
Do you know of a place where you can buy these brands? Can you find them at a local natural food store or what? My vet reccomended Iams to me...I've been feeding it for years and all my dogs are happy and healthy. But if there is truly something better(which from what all you guys say, I'm sure there is) I want it for my dogs.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 8:43:20 PM

Quote animalluver8:

I feed my dogs Iams. They are all healthier than ever and full of energy. They like their dog food, and I do add real meat.(dogs do need it) Is there something extremely wrong with this?
BRAVO for adding the meat, at least that much can be done if the middle or lower quality foods are going to be fed so that they can still get the protein they need.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 8:54:09 PM

Quote animalluver8:

Do you know of a place where you can buy these brands? Can you find them at a local natural food store or what? My vet reccomended Iams to me...I've been feeding it for years and all my dogs are happy and healthy. But if there is truly something better(which from what all you guys say, I'm sure there is) I want it for my dogs.
Many of these holistic foods you can buy online direct from the maufacturer themselves like Artemis, Solid Gold, Flint River Ranch, NutriSource, Timberwolf Organics, and Wysong and have shipped straight to your doorstep. Many, like Solid Gold even have catalog and phone ordering avaialble. Not to mention, they have distributor locators on their website.

Check out the following list of holistic foods:

http://www.keestalk.net/forum/thread.php?threadid=3&sid=75e5af0098540e240d24c89795fd1eec
focusonme

QUOTE 7/22/2005 11:22:47 PM
Okay I just HAVE to put my 2 cents in here.

I've seen people talk of knowledge about dog food: Great I have the knowledge (nope, didn't know about the puppy food affecting Mini's I admit that.) about dog food. A-I worked at a feed store. B-I've had knowledge thrown at me left and right. I know a little something by now!

You talk of all the kinds of food available to you: Great but what about those of us who live in the middle of NOWHERESEVILLE and do NOT have access to all kinds? I found a few I would just LOVE to feed. Know what? They're available all right...3 hrs (through a mtn pass with NOTHING between us) north of me. Do YOU want to drive on PURE ice for that far just for dog food during the winter? Me neither!
Shipping you say, have them ship to you: Have you EVER checked into shipping heavy loads into Alaska??? Light loads alone we get nailed double what the lower 48 does for shipping. I'm not exaggerating, look it up and you'll see for yourself.
What about those of us who DO feed Purina? Do you honestly think we don't treat with natural things? My dogs get carrots, blueberries, hot dogs, chicken and whatever else I'm having for treats. My dogs are VERY healthy and my vet says so. No problems. Yes more poop. I live in the middle of the woods, do you honestly think I care about this??? When I eat certain foods I poop a lot more too! I'm fine tho!

Gang, Im SOO sick and tired of hearing about all you people who pick on us just because we don't feed the holistic crud. Knock it off! If WE are happy with what we're feeding let us BE! We're not stupid, we can figure out what's good for our dogs and what's not. We can figure out if our dogs look like they're on their death bed or in a satisfactory condition for US!
I DID feed some of the higher end food and you know what? My dogs looked like they were DYING and were FOREVER hungry! I goto Purina and my dogs have BEAUTIFUL coats, tons of energy and everyone is VERY pleased with them!
We appreciate your input on dog food. But it's been said before. Gang I've just had enough of it. "well if you can't afford good food then you shouldn't have a dog...you should have ur dog fixed...you should give your dog away...can u even afford vet bills..." and on and on. What we all feed is simply PERSONAL choice. There is NO one good dog food for EVERY dog! ---Amen I'm done now!
goldengal

QUOTE 7/23/2005 12:08:37 AM

Quote focusonme:

Okay I just HAVE to put my 2 cents in here.

I've seen people talk of knowledge about dog food: Great I have the knowledge (nope, didn't know about the puppy food affecting Mini's I admit that.) about dog food. A-I worked at a feed store. B-I've had knowledge thrown at me left and right. I know a little something by now!

You talk of all the kinds of food available to you: Great but what about those of us who live in the middle of NOWHERESEVILLE and do NOT have access to all kinds? I found a few I would just LOVE to feed. Know what? They're available all right...3 hrs (through a mtn pass with NOTHING between us) north of me. Do YOU want to drive on PURE ice for that far just for dog food during the winter? Me neither!
Shipping you say, have them ship to you: Have you EVER checked into shipping heavy loads into Alaska??? Light loads alone we get nailed double what the lower 48 does for shipping. I'm not exaggerating, look it up and you'll see for yourself.
What about those of us who DO feed Purina? Do you honestly think we don't treat with natural things? My dogs get carrots, blueberries, hot dogs, chicken and whatever else I'm having for treats. My dogs are VERY healthy and my vet says so. No problems. Yes more poop. I live in the middle of the woods, do you honestly think I care about this??? When I eat certain foods I poop a lot more too! I'm fine tho!

Gang, Im SOO sick and tired of hearing about all you people who pick on us just because we don't feed the holistic crud. Knock it off! If WE are happy with what we're feeding let us BE! We're not stupid, we can figure out what's good for our dogs and what's not. We can figure out if our dogs look like they're on their death bed or in a satisfactory condition for US!
I DID feed some of the higher end food and you know what? My dogs looked like they were DYING and were FOREVER hungry! I goto Purina and my dogs have BEAUTIFUL coats, tons of energy and everyone is VERY pleased with them!
We appreciate your input on dog food. But it's been said before. Gang I've just had enough of it. "well if you can't afford good food then you shouldn't have a dog...you should have ur dog fixed...you should give your dog away...can u even afford vet bills..." and on and on. What we all feed is simply PERSONAL choice. There is NO one good dog food for EVERY dog! ---Amen I'm done now!
You go!!
Some one who can maybe get it through people's heads that you can love your dogs and still feed them Iams, Ol-Roy, Purina and all the other so called junk foods. And for you guys who feed your dogs the *best*. Continue feeding your dogs that food. Just don't come crying on my shoulder because your dogs died because of the food. Another thing to remember is "Different things for different people.
Tata
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/23/2005 12:32:20 AM
Hey, I know ALL about nutrition (I used to work at a grocery store) and McDonald's Big Macs are convenient and cheap. I'm going to feed my kids McDonald's Big Macs. Who believes all that "natural, organic and holistic" stuff, anyway? It's SO expensive. And have you ever seen those kids who're eating "healthy?" They look SO skinny! The kids I see who're eating McDonald's Big Macs look really good and are definitely healthy inside and out. Besides, I'm sure they all get some carrots and other healthy stuff as treats. You people who are feeding your kids "healthy," just go ahead and continue to do so. I'm sure we all love our children the same, but I'm going to feed my kids McDonald's Big Macs. Just don't come crying to me when your kids die from the food they are eating!

"Different strokes for different folks!"
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/23/2005 2:21:48 AM

Good one.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/23/2005 2:37:49 AM
"You talk of all the kinds of food available to you: Great but what about those of us who live in the middle of NOWHERESEVILLE and do NOT have access to all kinds? I found a few I would just LOVE to feed. Know what? They're available all right...3 hrs (through a mtn pass with NOTHING between us) north of me. Do YOU want to drive on PURE ice for that far just for Dog food during the winter? Me neither!" -focusonme

I know folks who drive 100 miles to buy that holistic food for their pets because they're concerned about their pets and the nutrition they get. They want them to have the ebst possible nutrition possible. For these folks, their pets are like their children and as a aprent you do whatever it takes to provide the best possible nutrition possible period.

"Shipping you say, have them ship to you: Have you EVER checked into shipping heavy loads into Alaska??? Light loads alone we get nailed double what the lower 48 does for shipping. I'm not exaggerating, look it up and you'll see for yourself." -focusonme

Well, that's their problem when it comes to shipping. I know folks in Alaska that have it shipped year round.

Sounds like you're just making some excuses IMHO.

Where there's a will to feed better food, there's a way!

kayzhond

QUOTE 7/23/2005 2:56:56 AM

Quote goldengal:

You go!!
Some one who can maybe get it through people's heads that you can love your dogs and still feed them Iams, Ol-Roy, Purina and all the other so called junk foods. And for you guys who feed your dogs the *best*. Continue feeding your dogs that food. Just don't come crying on my shoulder because your dogs died because of the food. Another thing to remember is "Different things for different people.
Tata
One Labrador Retriever owner puts partial blame on Science Diet as to why her one lab died of liver cancer. She blames it on the by-products and the chemical preservatives they used. Another woman who owned a Lab mix and fed Science Diet to her Dog for most of it's life and it too developed cancer. Another Labrador Retriever owner also fed her lab Science Diet for 13 years and also lost her lab to liver cancer and it was this latetr woman who learned that pentobarbitol was contained in Science Diet. As you know, pentobarbitol is the stuff they use to euthanize animals. Apparently, after animals are euthanized they're sent to rendering plants to be used in a lot of commercial pet foods.Anyhow, it'd be interesting to find out how many other Dog owners lost a Dog 10 or older to liver cancer while feeding nothing but Science Diet its entire life.

So, when your dogs drop dead after 10 years or more of liver cancer from the pentobarbitol in Science Diet and other medium and low quality foods don't say I told you so!

"Different weeps for different peeps!"
maoseger1010

QUOTE 7/23/2005 6:52:11 AM

Quote kayzhond:

"You talk of all the kinds of food available to you: Great but what about those of us who live in the middle of NOWHERESEVILLE and do NOT have access to all kinds? I found a few I would just LOVE to feed. Know what? They're available all right...3 hrs (through a mtn pass with NOTHING between us) north of me. Do YOU want to drive on PURE ice for that far just for Dog food during the winter? Me neither!" -focusonme

I know folks who drive 100 miles to buy that holistic food for their pets because they're concerned about their pets and the nutrition they get. They want them to have the ebst possible nutrition possible. For these folks, their pets are like their children and as a aprent you do whatever it takes to provide the best possible nutrition possible period.

"Shipping you say, have them ship to you: Have you EVER checked into shipping heavy loads into Alaska??? Light loads alone we get nailed double what the lower 48 does for shipping. I'm not exaggerating, look it up and you'll see for yourself." -focusonme

Well, that's their problem when it comes to shipping. I know folks in Alaska that have it shipped year round.

Sounds like you're just making some excuses IMHO.

Where there's a will to feed better food, there's a way!

You have accesses to the internet. You find the website of the food you want to buy and order it. Save money,buy in bulk and freeze what your not useing. IF you really want to feed other foods.

I truely believe that FOR the most part people feed their dogs and children what they can afford to feed them. If you can't afford to feed high dollar dog food you should at least try to feed the best of the cheaper dog foods. I do agree with an earlier poster who said you spend less money on better food because the dogs don't have to eat as much to get what they need. So your over all cost goes down.

If you are feeding a dog food with corn listed first on the package or corn meal or chicken by-products, you should supplement your dogs food with added chicken,ground lamb,or hamberger a couple of times a week. Add them to the food your feeding in small amounts. It will help you save money on vet bills later.

animalluver8

QUOTE 7/23/2005 9:18:59 AM

Quote kayzhond:

Many of these holistic foods you can buy online direct from the maufacturer themselves like Artemis, Solid Gold, Flint River Ranch, NutriSource, Timberwolf Organics, and Wysong and have shipped straight to your doorstep. Many, like Solid Gold even have catalog and phone ordering avaialble. Not to mention, they have distributor locators on their website.

Check out the following list of holistic foods:

http://www.keestalk.net/forum/thread.php?threadid=3&sid=75e5af0098540e240d24c89795fd1eec
Thanx Kazyhond. I think my dogs are going to be eating Solid Gold from now on.
goldengal

QUOTE 7/23/2005 4:43:45 PM

Quote envypoodlecollection:

Hey, I know ALL about nutrition (I used to work at a grocery store) and McDonald's Big Macs are convenient and cheap. I'm going to feed my kids McDonald's Big Macs. Who believes all that "natural, organic and holistic" stuff, anyway? It's SO expensive. And have you ever seen those kids who're eating "healthy?" They look SO skinny! The kids I see who're eating McDonald's Big Macs look really good and are definitely healthy inside and out. Besides, I'm sure they all get some carrots and other healthy stuff as treats. You people who are feeding your kids "healthy," just go ahead and continue to do so. I'm sure we all love our children the same, but I'm going to feed my kids McDonald's Big Macs. Just don't come crying to me when your kids die from the food they are eating!

"Different strokes for different folks!"
Yeah I knew it wasn't Different things but I couldn't remember what it was.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/23/2005 6:10:54 PM

Quote animalluver8:

Thanx Kazyhond. I think my dogs are going to be eating Solid Gold from now on.
No problem!
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/23/2005 6:11:57 PM
As I said, where there's a will to feed better food, there's a way!

diggerkristin

QUOTE 7/25/2005 9:27:58 AM
"So, when your Dogs drop dead after 10 years or more of liver cancer from the pentobarbitol in Science Diet and other medium and low quality foods don't say I told you so!"-Kayzhond

nice, very friendly
jrock_at_rons

QUOTE 7/25/2005 11:10:19 AM

Quote kayzhond:

One Labrador Retriever owner puts partial blame on Science Diet as to why her one lab died of liver cancer. She blames it on the by-products and the chemical preservatives they used. Another woman who owned a Lab mix and fed Science Diet to her Dog for most of it's life and it too developed cancer. Another Labrador Retriever owner also fed her lab Science Diet for 13 years and also lost her lab to liver cancer and it was this latetr woman who learned that pentobarbitol was contained in Science Diet. As you know, pentobarbitol is the stuff they use to euthanize animals. Apparently, after animals are euthanized they're sent to rendering plants to be used in a lot of commercial pet foods.Anyhow, it'd be interesting to find out how many other Dog owners lost a Dog 10 or older to liver cancer while feeding nothing but Science Diet its entire life.

So, when your dogs drop dead after 10 years or more of liver cancer from the pentobarbitol in Science Diet and other medium and low quality foods don't say I told you so!

"Different weeps for different peeps!"
WOW!!!! ONE OWNER!!! What a great sampling of data they must have used to collect this data. I'm sure this "owner" had a vetrinary degree or a doctorate in forensic science. C'mon... give us a break. You think this kind of mindless "data" really helps prove anything?

Just remember... if you are unwilling to drop $35 for dog food, you are NOT A GOOD DOG OWNER! (that last part was sarcasm for those of you who have a hard time with humor)
4theloveofmycocker

QUOTE 7/25/2005 11:26:00 AM
I can't believe this thread has gotten so long. It's too bad that we can just all agree to disagree. For those of us who choose to go with the so called "junk foods" we have are reasons and good for us. For those of us who choose so called "premium foods" you have your reasons and good for you. I know all of us take the proper steps in caring for our pooches. So let's respect the fact that we take care of our pets with love and responsibility. We should be happy that we aren't BYB's or those people who you see on Animal Cops. As for 1 owner reporting info on their dog's well being, I know in research that doesn't even reach a significant p-value so that result is null.
Post Reply New Topic