What breeds are under 10lbs?

What breeds are under 10lbs?

kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 6:50:54 PM

Quote sandmama:

So...

How can you tell which breeds are terriers? Is my Chi that I have now a terrier?

Are the Bichon, Havanese, Papillon, Affenpinsher and Brussels Griffon terriers?

What about the Italian Greyhound, are they a terrier?

Pomeranians have too much hair for me. My husband likes the Toy Eskimos but same there too. I had been looking at the Volpino Italiano but those seem very rare and hard to find!!

Thanks
No. Chi's are companion dogs, not terriers. The AKC classifies them as toys.

Bichon Frise, American Eskimo, and Tibetan Spaniel's are a non-sporting dog.

The Havanese is in the Miscellaneous category, as far as I can tell.

Papillon, Affenpinscher Brussels Griffon, and Italian Greyhound are all in the Toy Group with the AKC. If the Havense left Miscellaneous then it's either in Toy or Non-Sporting.

You may want to look at Non-SPorting dogs if you want a companion because Non-Sporting dogs are really good companion dogs.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 7:04:15 PM
Yes, the Volpini Italiani is rare. You can go to http://www.volpinoitaliano.com/ and click on English version (top right-hand side) to learn more and see pictures. However, there ARE Volpini's in the US. You can learn more about Volpini's in the US by going to http://www.volpinoitaliano.us/index.html. Terralea Collins craeted the site and can be E-Mailed at volpino_us@yahool.com. She doesn't have a Volpini right now, as she lost her Pooh in April of '04 at the age of 15 BUT she seems very dedcicated to the breed itself and into Volpini education. If you wnat her address and phone number, contact me via E-Mail at Kayzhond@lycos.com and I'll be happy to get it to you.
sandmama

QUOTE 7/22/2005 7:25:26 PM

Thanks Kayzhond!!!

kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 7:51:06 PM
You're so, so welcome!
kayzhond

QUOTE 8/6/2005 11:21:48 PM
Did you decide on a breed? Find a breeder yet?
sandmama

QUOTE 8/7/2005 11:52:44 AM
Hey Kayzhond,
No, it am still trying to figure out which one, let alone start looking for a breeder to get put on their waiting list. I was just surfing around on petfiner and found a little Chi girl named Star who looks exactly like my little Chewey. I called them and emailed them to get some info and nobody every got back to me. I checked and she is still on petfinder but maybe she is taken and they just haven't updated the sight. I thought maybe she could be perfect for all of us. If she is still on next week maybe I will try again. It was posted by a rescue but she was at a "facility" and I hate the thought of her still being there when someone did inquire about her and never got a response back.
sandmama

QUOTE 8/7/2005 5:10:17 PM
I tried emailing a different person with the same rescue organization. They emailed me back and said she was adopted yesterday
monkeemunk

QUOTE 10/18/2006 10:18:57 PM
i see alot of the dogs recommended are top dogs. i hear a lot about dog mixes now adays such a maltipoos,Cock-a-poos, Snoodles, Sheltipoos, Labradoodles, Maltipoos, Shihpoos, Pooshihs, Bassadoodles, Shihchons? any comments on these or information about sizes.
i am a young newly working girl who would like to venture into being a new "mommy". my boyfriend has a two bedroom apartment where my "baby" will be sleeping so he requests it be less than 10 pounds. i mentioned i am newly working girl because altough i can afford a dog, i cannot afford a "designer" dog as they are calling them now.... please help! any suggestions will do....
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/18/2006 10:56:42 PM
QUOTE: is an ITALIAN GREYHOUND a TERRIER..

UMMM.....

DUH....

what part of HOUND did you miss in that name???

they are SIGHTHOUNDS ..

HOUNDS as in the name.. GREYHOUND??
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

OMFG.

and what is up with the under 10 lbs and under 6 lbs needed posts ?

is this the new trend ?

and who ever heard of a MINI COCKER??

is that another runted genetic nighmare dog being bred?

and i am really disturbed by this thread to say teh least - all - or MOST of you know the standard of a breed REALLY means SQUAT unless you get a show line and show quality dog!!

i have had maltese inmy rescue that was a fat lil brat at 19 lbs when i got him. and 15 when he left..

i had a chi at 4 lbs and one at 9 lbs ..

i had a shih tzu weigh in at 16 lbs and wasnt NOT over weight he was BIG .

BYBS do NOT breed to standard .

and unless you buy from a show breeder a RB and get a show quality dog from them you cannot be CErtain of its final weight.

especially if you feed it crappy food and let it get fat !
my monsyer in laws pom was like 19 LBS!!!!

and tiny JUST SUPER FAT.

(sighs)

where on earth is the reality in this room?

if you go by AKC standard YOU can find breeds BRED to be under 10 lbs..
TRUE

BUT to BUY one and be sure it stays UNDER 10 lbs is a whole different ballgame, darlin.

RW
RW
mja1103

QUOTE 10/18/2006 11:18:07 PM
This post and the other are really old...hmmm...ANYWAY...on to the next post!
ldyzelda

QUOTE 10/19/2006 11:13:10 AM
15! Our miniatures are around there probably, but our toys? No way.

Of that list, one of my favorites is the cavalier king charles (:

It may be that the small bladders make smaller dogs on the whole harder to potty train. I've heard of using a litter box for small breeds but haven't done it myself.

About the mixes:
Cockerpoos seem to be decent. I would NEVER get a labradoodle...hyperspastic things. I also don't know enough about genetics to be secure in how healthy these dogs area and health for me is a major concern (for example, I've seen a golden x dach....all the weight of the golden on tiny dach legs, that can't be good from a medical standpoint). Sizing is pretty hard to tell...you'd have to guess from what dogs are being mixed.

The mixes you're talking about ARE what they call designer breeds... from what I've been hearing, they sell for higher than purebreds sometimes. If you're interested in a mix, check your local SPCA and other similar places for older dogs who've grown into whatever size they'll be so you don't get surprised ;) (although honestly, the SPCA around here has pretty much nothing but pits and pit mixes)
miarob

QUOTE 10/19/2006 3:13:15 PM
Check out the web site hoflin.com go the the breed reviews ,it tells all the physical charcteristics and the personality traits. But the best part is the reviews by actual owners, great source of info!
monkeemunk

QUOTE 10/19/2006 10:36:01 PM
wow resuce wench did you ever hear of no question is a stupid question. this is why people on here are asking them.. to get answers now smart alec remarks. I AM asking for a dog under 10 pounds for room reason. just because someone wants a smaller dogs souldnt stop them from being a good dog owner.
if anyone can get me nice information of great dogs who are majority of the time under 10 pounds. any breds or mixes are fine becuase unlike some people i like all dogs for just being their own personality, whether or not their are certified by kennel clubs or whatnot. i want a dog that i can love and will love me. thats why we get animals in the first place to love them for just being them. anyone have any advice for me for dogs that are small for apartments i would greatly appreciate... thank you to the patient and wonderful people who post great answers on here for everyone!!!
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/20/2006 7:33:18 AM

Quote monkeemunk:

wow resuce wench did you ever hear of no question is a stupid question. this is why people on here are asking them.. to get answers now smart alec remarks. I AM asking for a dog under 10 pounds for room reason. just because someone wants a smaller dogs souldnt stop them from being a good dog owner.
if anyone can get me nice information of great dogs who are majority of the time under 10 pounds. any breds or mixes are fine becuase unlike some people i like all dogs for just being their own personality, whether or not their are certified by kennel clubs or whatnot. i want a dog that i can love and will love me. thats why we get animals in the first place to love them for just being them. anyone have any advice for me for dogs that are small for apartments i would greatly appreciate... thank you to the patient and wonderful people who post great answers on here for everyone!!!
no i didnt i went to college and had many a professor tell us "that was a stupid question"

or .... "how did you make it throught 4 years of college and be aking me this? dont waste my time"

OR "if you dont know - do your research"

well that is in grown up world . not pre K.

your question is simply answered by googling "dogs under 10 lbs"

wallah!!

presto the miracle of the WWW.

when you ask a question to 300 people you will NOT always get the answer you are looking for.

and frankly i found it amusing that someone asked in a Greyhound was a terrier.

THAT seems - in MY opinion ,
to be an oxymoron.

JMHO

RW

emlee3

QUOTE 10/20/2006 3:46:42 PM

Quote rescuewench:

no i didnt i went to college and had many a professor tell us "that was a stupid question"

or .... "how did you make it throught 4 years of college and be aking me this? dont waste my time"

OR "if you dont know - do your research"

well that is in grown up world . not pre K.

your question is simply answered by googling "dogs under 10 lbs"

wallah!!

presto the miracle of the WWW.

when you ask a question to 300 people you will NOT always get the answer you are looking for.

and frankly i found it amusing that someone asked in a Greyhound was a terrier.

THAT seems - in MY opinion ,
to be an oxymoron.

JMHO

RW

people who believe "there are no such thing as stupid questions" are usually the ones annoying the heck out the professors.

anyways, monkeemunk you have to realize like humans all dogs are different in size, shape, and personality. there are way more things to consider if you are trying to get a dog..not just the size. i have a friend that lives in a very small house who has a 90lb dog. she walks him everyday and takes him to the park at least 3x a week. he is very active and very sweet yet very calm indoors. i've also seen small 6lb chihuahuas that are bouncing off the walls...a neighbor that use to live next to me use to always complain about her chihuahua being hyper she could never get him to stay still. she lived in a smaller apartment than me and she sometimes have trouble finding him! he would always hide behind something because he was so small. what i'm trying to say is that you should get a dog that would be suitable for YOU not the space..if you are a workaholic then i suggest you get a older dog.

the REALITY: a puppy will poop and pee all over the place if you don't let them out every 2-3 hours..and i know when you come home from a stressful day at work you will be highly agitated.

other things to consider when looking for a dog: are you a active person? do you enjoy long walks? how much time in grooming are you willing to spend?

Also, i read a few posts back you mentioned designer mutts...they are not a BREED and if you buy one for $1000 your getting ripped off. i suggest you google "backyard breeders" and you'll see why they are so expensive. if you want to get your moneys worth than you should look for a reputable breeder who have show quality dogs.
amyxl3e

QUOTE 10/21/2006 11:38:17 AM
hi guys, i have a couple questions regarding the havanese and the yorkie, the kind of dog I am looking for has to stay in my apartment which is under 10 pounds, do havanese stay very little? I think they are so adorable, but i also am in love with yorkies, which would you recomdend?
amyxl3e

QUOTE 10/21/2006 11:40:26 AM
or what about the mix of a yorkie poo? do they also stay little?
havluv524

QUOTE 10/21/2006 11:02:54 PM
Havanese have a height standard, not a weight standard. We see all different sizes of havanese in the ring due to the 3 inch discrepancy between the low end and the high end of the height standard. Under the old standard, the maximum weight was 13 lbs, so you are looking at a breed that can be anywhere from about 8 lbs to about 13 or 14. A yorkie is significantly smaller. If you are interested in a havanese, please make sure that your breeder is doing all of the required health testing, which is BAER hearing, annual eye CERFS, and OFA patellas and hips. I also do OFA cardiac and complete blood workups that include Antech SA320 fasting bile acids to ascertain liver function. So be sure to ask the right questions...and don't settle for a breeder that is not doing all they can to produce the healthiest dogs possible.

Good luck!
rescuewench

QUOTE 10/22/2006 2:01:00 PM

Quote amyxl3e:

hi guys, i have a couple questions regarding the havanese and the yorkie, the kind of dog I am looking for has to stay in my apartment which is under 10 pounds, do havanese stay very little? I think they are so adorable, but i also am in love with yorkies, which would you recomdend?
you will get more replys to this question if you open a NEW thread and ask.

RW
Post Reply New Topic