What breeds are under 10lbs?

What breeds are under 10lbs?

sandmama

QUOTE 7/19/2005 12:03:10 PM
I have a Chi now who is only 5 months old. My children, husband and I all adore him. I want to start my research on other breeds that are about the same size as him, under 10 pounds or so. By the time I figure that out and find a breeder and wait for a puppy our Chi should be old enough for a new friend. I know a Yorkie is that small, but any other ideas or suggestions? Even a mini schnauzer or a cocker spaniel would be too big for us. THANKS so much
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/19/2005 3:22:05 PM
Toy Poodles almost always weigh under 10 pounds.
goldengal

QUOTE 7/19/2005 4:00:36 PM
Pomeranians 3-7 lbs
Toy Manchester Terrier 12 lbs or under
Maltese 4-6 lbs
Norfolk Terrier 11-12 lbs
Norwich Terrier 11 lbs

These are just some of the ones I found
4theloveofmycocker

QUOTE 7/19/2005 4:13:46 PM
silky terriors
sandmama

QUOTE 7/19/2005 4:41:32 PM
Thank you so much for giving me a head start. I knew there were some out there that I hadn't heard of!
walkerhound01

QUOTE 7/19/2005 5:41:25 PM
My Grandma has a shih-tzu thats about7 lbs.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/19/2005 6:35:50 PM
Ideally (as per the AKC standard), Shih Tzu should weigh between 9 and 16 pounds at maturity. They are nice little dogs, but please note that if you decide to get one there are no "Imperial" Shih Tzus. This is a term used much like "Teacup," etc. in other breeds. People who use these terms to describe their dogs and puppies are just looking for the uneducated buyers out there who want something "extra special."
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/19/2005 7:45:39 PM
There's PLENTY of breeds around 10 LBS:

Ky Leo: 9 - 11 LBS
Toy American Eskimo: 11 - 12 LBS
King Charles Spaniel: 10 - 11 LBS
Havanese: 7 - 12 LBS
Pomeranian: 4 - 5 LBS
Phalene: 9 - 10 LBS
Papillon: 9 - 10 LBS
Lowchen: 8 - 18 LBS (if you can find one on the lower end of the poundage then that breed should be okay for you)
Italian Greyhound: 8 LBS
Bolognese: 5 - 9 LBS
Volpino Italiano: 10 LBS
Pekingese: 7 - 12 LBS
Chinese Crested: 5 - 12 LBS
Tibetan Spaniel: 9 - 15 LBS (if you can find one on the lower end of the poundage then that breed should be okay for you)
Japanese Chin: 4 - 7 LBS
Maltese: 4 - 6 LBS
Bichon Frise: 7 - 12 LBS
Lancashire Heeler: 6 - 13 LBS
Dachshund: 9 - 10 LBS
American Toy Terrier: 4 - 7 LBS
English Toy Terrier: 6 - 8 LBS
Yorkshire Terrier: Less Than 7 LBS
Silky Terrier: 8 - 11 LBS
Affenpinscher: 7 - 8 LBS
Miniature Pinscher: 8 - 10 LBS
Brussels Griffon: 6 - 12 LBS
Jappanese Terrier: 10 - 13 LBS
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/19/2005 7:47:02 PM

Quote envypoodlecollection:

Toy Poodles almost always weigh under 10 pounds.
Actually, according to all of the dog sources I have on hand in my stack of books Toy Poodles are about 15 LBS and they're all basically in agreement about that one. Then again, my books were published awhile ago and perhaps weights have changed on Toy Poodles. I don't know. I do know that the Toy poodles in White Paw's Formal Obedience class, the Novice class, were both around 15 LBS and that was about 7 years ago.
sandmama

QUOTE 7/19/2005 8:18:47 PM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Thank you Kayzhond for the wonderful list, many that I haven't heard of and would have had no idea to start checking those breeds out.

I am going to print it out and start reading and comparing. I do not have any dog books and the information I can find through google is limited. This will definitely keep me busy until our "Chewey" is a year old!!

envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/20/2005 1:09:35 AM
Kayzhund - My heaviest Toy Poodle (Phillipe) weighs 10 pounds. LaBelle weighs 6. Paris and Chanel are somewhere inbetween. We also groom countless Toy and Miniature Poodles at the shop and I've found few exceptions. Even in the conformation ring, preference is to be given to the smaller dog between two Toy Poodles judged "equal." It's been my experience that an individual's weight and height are usually very similar in Toys. An example would be that a 10" Poodle usually weighs about 10 pounds.

As an aside, I've found most "general" dog breed books have some pretty loose descriptions. I know I wouldn't try to act like I knew anything about anything to do with Kees after reading one.
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/20/2005 1:34:32 AM

Quote sandmama:

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Thank you Kayzhond for the wonderful list, many that I haven't heard of and would have had no idea to start checking those breeds out.

I am going to print it out and start reading and comparing. I do not have any dog books and the information I can find through google is limited. This will definitely keep me busy until our "Chewey" is a year old!!

No problem!!!! You can start with the AKC's Complete Dog Book - 19th Edition (Revised) and Eyewitness handbook's: Dogs by David Alderton as Those are what I consider to be my dog Bibles.

You can also easily google breed clubs by inputting, for example, 'Brussels Griffon Club of America' or you can simply go to the AKC's website and choose them from a drop down list - http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm?action=national&display=on

GOOD LUCK!
honey143

QUOTE 7/20/2005 3:32:47 AM
I'm sorry about what your book may have stated about toy poodles, but it is actually Minitures that would weight between 12-15 pounds, not toys. That is why they are called toys because they would be in the easiy to carry range. Unless its an older over weight toy poodle i doubt you will find any average breed standard size toys that weight that much. I've read many breeds standards even online for toy poodles and it says they are almost always under the 10 pounds range. I own one myself and although right now he weights 16 pounds it is because he is 14 years old and not active anymore. But when we got him he weighed about 7-8 pounds.
envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/20/2005 10:26:28 PM
LOL I just had to post... I raised the question of "15 pound Toy Poodles" to the master groomer at work today and after a LONG pause she said, "Is this a trick question?!" Patty has been grooming for over 30 years and specializes in Poodles. She agrees that most Toys are well within the 5-10 pound range, full grown.

biscuitt2

QUOTE 7/20/2005 10:46:09 PM
I raise Maltese, they are rarely over 6lbs. They do not shed and do not have pet dander- no doggie smell. I fell in love for an in home dog they are perfect.
We also raise Pugs. They are from 14lbs to 19 and while they so affectionate they will make you appreciate the size and fact that the maltese do not shed.
Maltese and the tiny ones are not as durable for small children however.
Good luck.
Cathy

envypoodlecollection

QUOTE 7/20/2005 11:36:46 PM
Maltese ARE adorable.

Eventually, I'll have to get a picture of my Kahlua up on my website. She's a personality and a half, but I can't say as I'd want more than one of her running around!

Do you have a website for your dogs, Cathy?
sandmama

QUOTE 7/22/2005 1:43:41 AM
Hi everyone,

The Maltese is one I am considering. I had been considering a Yorkie until I read on the forum that they are VERY hard to potty train which is not my cup of tea.

Any advice or comments about any little ones that are easier to housetrain?

Thanks again for all this great advice!!!
kayzhond

QUOTE 7/22/2005 1:58:14 AM

Quote sandmama:

Hi everyone,

The Maltese is one I am considering. I had been considering a Yorkie until I read on the forum that they are VERY hard to potty train which is not my cup of tea.

Any advice or comments about any little ones that are easier to housetrain?

Thanks again for all this great advice!!!
I think you're going to find that to be the case with a lot of the other terriers as well. terriers can be a handful for many people.

Look at some of the Nordic or Spitz breeds like the Toy American Eskimo, Pomeranian, and Volpino Italiano. I find Spitz breeds to be pretty good when it comes to housebreaking.
sugarmagnolia

QUOTE 7/22/2005 11:30:41 AM
Japanese chins are under 10 pounds, and they hardly ever bark, and they are easy to house train.
sandmama

QUOTE 7/22/2005 4:44:25 PM
So...

How can you tell which breeds are terriers? Is my Chi that I have now a terrier?

Are the Bichon, Havanese, Papillon, Affenpinsher and Brussels Griffon terriers?

What about the Italian Greyhound, are they a terrier?

Pomeranians have too much hair for me. My husband likes the Toy Eskimos but same there too. I had been looking at the Volpino Italiano but those seem very rare and hard to find!!

Thanks
Post Reply New Topic