Raising two males

Raising two males

mjansel

QUOTE 8/7/2005 2:59:50 PM
"My pups are 7,6,4, and 2 monthes old. The 4 month old is the boy. We plan on getting at least one of our girls fixed soon(probably the one that just 6) and we are going to offer our male as a stud."

All I can really say is UGGGHHHH!! Sounds like a BYBer in the making. I could ask what your male pug has to offer to the breed, but truly why waste my breath.

lilmissktty

QUOTE 8/7/2005 4:24:11 PM

Quote mjansel:

"My pups are 7,6,4, and 2 monthes old. The 4 month old is the boy. We plan on getting at least one of our girls fixed soon(probably the one that just 6) and we are going to offer our male as a stud."

All I can really say is UGGGHHHH!! Sounds like a BYBer in the making. I could ask what your male pug has to offer to the breed, but truly why waste my breath.

What are you talking about? I don't understand how my love of Pugs makes my a backyard breeder. My male through examines and overlooks by other reputable breeders is quite the perfect specimen for a stud. Did you think I meant I was going to use him on my own Pugs? Honestly, don't go calling people backyard breeders and putting down their dogs unless you know the whole story. Besides, I thought this particular post was about raising 2 dogs.
mjansel

QUOTE 8/7/2005 5:21:00 PM

Quote lilmissktty:

What are you talking about? I don't understand how my love of Pugs makes my a backyard breeder. My male through examines and overlooks by other reputable breeders is quite the perfect specimen for a stud. Did you think I meant I was going to use him on my own Pugs? Honestly, don't go calling people backyard breeders and putting down their dogs unless you know the whole story. Besides, I thought this particular post was about raising 2 dogs.
You have a young puppy that you plan to "stud Out" on the word of some "breeders". Are you planning on showing him in the breed ring in order to see that he really is breed quality? Or at 4 month old, do you already know he is so great that you don't need to prove it?

I have a 5 month old Doberman bitch that I hope to breed someday. Before doing that she will be shown in the breed ring, and go through about a $1000 worth of health testing. Her pedigree reads like royalty. I also have an almost 3 year old bitch that did show and did OK but not great, did most of the health testing, has a wonderful pedigree and is beautiful. She was just spayed, because "almost" was not quite good enough to breed. I put appox $3000 (not including what she cost me) into my 2 year old bitch and then decided to spay her. Why? Because that is what a responsible person who loves the breed does when a dog is good, but not quite good enough.

Breeding is not a hobby for the inexperienced pet owner. I've got over 12 years into my breed and only now do I feel close to experinced enough to contemplate breeding if my puppy does as well as her pedigree says she should. It will take a couple of years and several thousands of dollars to know for sure. So, I get a little peeved when people talk about "studing" out their 4 month old pet puppy.
Not to mention, I do my time in the trenches of pure bred rescue for my chosen breed. I've seen way too many byb dogs in rescue. Some of them are just too far gone and have to be put down. On those days, I'd be happy to kick some BYB butt. I'm not young and naive anymore, and I've seen cruelty up close and personal - enough that I can't and won't condone careless breeding of pet quality dogs that are then sold to anyone with cash. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. You are young and still have a lot to learn. If you really like pugs, then I would suggest to find your local Pug club and join. Find someone experienced in the breed to mentor you. Learn Learn & then learn some more. Someday, you might want to breed. Doing so now is going to forever taint your reputation if you ever do decide to really get into the reputable world of ethical breeders. We all start out somewhere, but don't make the mistake of breeding a pet quality dog.
anasazi

QUOTE 8/8/2005 2:47:45 PM
I agree with the other posters to have the two males neutered ASAP.. You might want to reconsider getting two puppies at the same time.. I have a 3 1/2 yr old male westie and just got another male westie puppy.. The problem Im running into is that its very difficult to train the new puppy as the two dogs want to play all the time.. I have to literally seperate them in order to get the puppys attention, otherwise hes focused on playing with the other one. I see no option but to enroll him into some obedience classes.

I hear so many people say its not wise to have two dogs of the same sex.. Well.. If the westie club would sell their females I wouldve gotten a female.. however they will not part with them.. All of the breeders I have dealt with are ethical responsible breeders and truly care where their pups go. I think if they thought two male westies couldnt live together I dont they would sell their male westies to people who already ahave a male.

I know several people who have small and large breed dogs of the same sex that live in harmony. I truly think it all depends on the dogs disposition..
mjanddobes

QUOTE 8/8/2005 6:38:55 PM
"I hear so many people say its not wise to have two Dogs of the same sex.. All of the breeders I have dealt with are ethical responsible breeders and truly care where their pups go. I think if they thought two male westies couldnt live together I dont they would sell their male westies to people who already ahave a male.

I know several people who have small and large breed Dogs of the same sex that live in harmony. I truly think it all depends on the Dogs disposition.."

not just disposition, but the breed itself plays a role. Your Westies may always be just fine together... especially if they are neutered. OTOH, I would not want to bet on the chances that 2 male Dobermans would get along.
wayascout

QUOTE 8/9/2005 1:53:07 AM
My vet raised the point about disposition too when I expressed my concerns and asked him about this. He said that some dogs simply get along and some dont. So far ours are getting along beautifully, they fight, but at the moment at least it is play fighting, they are also very affectionate to each other and curl up and sleep together.

I am considering crates right now because of one or two chewing incidents, they cant help that of course, they are pups and teething pups at that. My husband was dead set against that one, he has raised males together before and he doesnt like the thought of them being seperated when they like to snuggle up together, but we discussed it more and decided that if its that or destructive chewing when we cant be there to supervise then the crates are preferable to them getting themselves into trouble and ruining our stuff, plus we are around enough that they can still have a lot of contact with each other just when we really cant be around like when we are sleeping or have to be somewhere they cant go with us.. like all pet owners we cant be there the whole time. Right now they are snuggled up together and sleeping with some nice new tasty chews for when they wake.
scaerlin

QUOTE 4/24/2006 9:00:49 PM
We are raising 2 male shih tzus and we are thrilled with our dogs. The worst part was the potty training because it felt like we were outside all the time. A word of advice " Take them out seperatly so potty time doesn't feel like play time to them!" As long as you remain the boss in the family the dogs will find their place. Our dogs eat sleep play and hang with us. Two males worked for us but it was super duper crazy at times. Plenty of patience and consistancy help a great deal but the personalities of the pups is VIP!!!The problem is they can't exactly tell you they don't like each other when you pick them out! If they don't click you can't force them and unfortunately it takes time home with you for you to get to know their personalities with you and each other. I can understand why most breeders disagree with having 2 pups at once, but nothing is impossible with dedication and double the love. If the situation is right for both the owner and the dogs the rewards are worth the love you receive from your family additions.
dusty082155

QUOTE 4/24/2006 9:26:40 PM
any dogs can get into tiffs, even males and females. my male and female frenchies have gotten into it a few times. i seperate them immediately. my male frenchie has also snapped at our gsd on occasion. always food related. i have to seperate them all for treats. they get very greedy with each other over treats, but they will share their food.
unaltered males are less likely to "argue". i would just keep an eye on how they are interacting with each other as they grow. if they do have a tiff here and there , you will be able to see the cause of it and correct it.
dobiegurl313

QUOTE 4/24/2006 10:38:58 PM
I, personally, don't feel that its a good idea to get two puppies, regardless of gender, at the same time. Chico kept me busy as a puppy and I don't think I could have handled two puppies, especially hyper Dobie pups, I would have passed out trying to keep up with them.

If you feel that you can handle two puppies, go for it. But remember its not as easy as it looks. Each dog needs time with you, individually and they more and likely will become more dog-dependant rather thatn human-dependent because they will prefer to play together as young puppies, rather than play with you. That will cause problems in the household and it will be very hard to form a relationship with them and train them properly. Just think about it, and do whatever you feel is right, just take into consideration what people tell you.
nxt2mad

QUOTE 5/28/2006 2:24:28 AM
This is just the topic i've been looking for! I just got another male pug pup 2 days ago (breeder of the pugs recommended 2 males because of the Pugs' temperament). I currently have a 10 month old male pug. My 10 month old is already pretty well mannered and potty trained and is wonderful. With the new pup, the older one seems more submissive and this new pup is definitely more aggressive, taking the older pups toys etc. They have play time and always supervised, it's a challenge and i separate them once it gets too rough. I put new puppy in his crate for naps so the older one gets some relax time with me. They sleep in separate crates next to each other and it works out pretty well. They seem to like one another. Today while watching T.V. the two pugs were playing then all of sudden the older one layed down to take a nap near my feet and the little one followed and curled up next to the other and they fell asleep!! very sweet. The taking out separately to potty definietly works!!.less distractions. And yes i have to remind myself at times to treat them more like dogs than like my children, but its hard, i have no human children of my own so these guys are it! But I'm trying!!
thminis

QUOTE 5/28/2006 1:33:52 PM

Quote nxt2mad:

This is just the topic i've been looking for! I just got another male pug pup 2 days ago (breeder of the pugs recommended 2 males because of the Pugs' temperament). I currently have a 10 month old male pug. My 10 month old is already pretty well mannered and potty trained and is wonderful. With the new pup, the older one seems more submissive and this new pup is definitely more aggressive, taking the older pups toys etc. They have play time and always supervised, it's a challenge and i separate them once it gets too rough. I put new puppy in his crate for naps so the older one gets some relax time with me. They sleep in separate crates next to each other and it works out pretty well. They seem to like one another. Today while watching T.V. the two pugs were playing then all of sudden the older one layed down to take a nap near my feet and the little one followed and curled up next to the other and they fell asleep!! very sweet. The taking out separately to potty definietly works!!.less distractions. And yes i have to remind myself at times to treat them more like dogs than like my children, but its hard, i have no human children of my own so these guys are it! But I'm trying!!
I am in a similar situation, but different too. We have a 2 year old male pug and a 11 week old female pug. They play all the time and fight over toys, even if they have the exact same, but have finally learned to also be calm together. THey're asleep at my feet next each other right now. I feel bad for my older guy, though, b/c Bella will take his toys and he just says ok. Buth when the wrestle, he doesn't let her win. He'll pin her on her back when she gets to rough-but I understand he is just showing her her place.

To the OP- One of the main things I advise to you is that the dogs will follow each other. Dogs tend to be classic examples of monkey see monkey do. Even now when Reggie gets crazy and will grab laundry to mess with us, Bella follows! Also, it will be very difficult to tell which dog is progressing in potty training b/c if you find an accident in the house that you didn't see happen, you will have no way of telling which dog did it. The marking thing, well our male pug used to mark when he was the only dog in the house. We got a female so he wouldn't start up again.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes, ok?
thminis

QUOTE 5/29/2006 5:29:17 PM
bump
kim826

QUOTE 5/31/2006 12:26:43 PM

Quote scaerlin:

We are raising 2 male shih tzus and we are thrilled with our dogs. The worst part was the potty training because it felt like we were outside all the time. A word of advice " Take them out seperatly so potty time doesn't feel like play time to them!" As long as you remain the boss in the family the dogs will find their place. Our dogs eat sleep play and hang with us. Two males worked for us but it was super duper crazy at times. Plenty of patience and consistancy help a great deal but the personalities of the pups is VIP!!!The problem is they can't exactly tell you they don't like each other when you pick them out! If they don't click you can't force them and unfortunately it takes time home with you for you to get to know their personalities with you and each other. I can understand why most breeders disagree with having 2 pups at once, but nothing is impossible with dedication and double the love. If the situation is right for both the owner and the dogs the rewards are worth the love you receive from your family additions.
I was about to give up on my two males . . but after reading your note . . I may hang in there.
nicksbt

QUOTE 8/18/2006 9:16:05 AM
i'm in a bit of a prediciment as well, i have a 2year old male SBT, and he's just fathered 2 pups, should i have a male pup with him and get them neutured or should i leave it and wait for another litter and get a bitch
arthurlouise

QUOTE 8/21/2006 2:04:41 AM
At last a web site with some hope re 2 male dogs-- we have just rescued 2 littermates via Boxer breed recue-- we and they are aware of the pitfalls but they are truly beautiful and entire so our hearts melted-- I never did have any senseThey are 11 months and can sit on command -- Sam the dominant one can down as well but Shadow will give his paw !! They sleep downstairs on beds-- walk well on leads !! Not brave enough for anything else yet !! xx
yankeelab

QUOTE 8/21/2006 8:29:55 AM

Quote mjanddobes:

"I hear so many people say its not wise to have two Dogs of the same sex.. All of the breeders I have dealt with are ethical responsible breeders and truly care where their pups go. I think if they thought two male westies couldnt live together I dont they would sell their male westies to people who already ahave a male.

I know several people who have small and large breed Dogs of the same sex that live in harmony. I truly think it all depends on the Dogs disposition.."

not just disposition, but the breed itself plays a role. Your Westies may always be just fine together... especially if they are neutered. OTOH, I would not want to bet on the chances that 2 male Dobermans would get along.
My fiance's mothers neighbor (whew) in PA is big into showing their 3 bernese mountain dogs (one of them won some huge award, im not the most knowledgable person on that subject, it was almost the westminster but not quite) anyways back on subject, they have 3 bernese md's and ALL are male and they are all inseparable. BTW they are the sweetest dogs ive ever seen! :-)
feenie61

QUOTE 4/14/2008 2:27:00 PM

Quote gsd_lover04:

well i have 4 male german shepherds and 3 of which were raised from birth together and are doing just fine so far they are only 4 1/2 months old but the adult male gets along with them
Hello...I have a Four month old German Shepherd male pup.I am concidering purchasing his Brother.He is great and has started his Obedience training.Can you give me a bit of advise?Thanks very Much
boswer

QUOTE 4/14/2008 3:30:23 PM

Quote envypoodlecollection:

It can definitely be done, but you'll make your life A LOT easier if you have both boys neutered ASAP. Keeping two intact males when you're not experienced in doing so can be a disaster.
How old are the pups? You don't neuter until at least till their 6 months and in some cases you wait until they are skeltonally mature. When you neuter too early you discrupt their growing cycle. I have two giant breeds and neither are neutered. I have owned giant breeds all my life and to say that it absolutely necessary to neuter is hog wash.
Boswer
lakid1

QUOTE 4/14/2008 3:43:45 PM
I for one do not see anything wrong with this.
ahmei28

QUOTE 7/9/2008 12:34:35 AM
I am currently raising 2 male litter mates, Aussie/Terrier puppies (7mos). FYI, I never intended on getting two, the 2nd one was more or less, dropped off. Anyway, I am not a first time dog owner, but with these two dogs for the past 6 months, I have done EVERYTHING wrong to help promote 2 individual dogs (they eat together, sleep together, etc.) We have our ups and downs, but for the most part, my dogs co-exist with each other well. They can be separated without a big fuss. Also, they prefer playing with me than with each other when we're all out together. They have their fair share of fights, but never severe. In short, thus far, they turned out o.k.

I guess if you really have your heart set on getting two dogs, which I do not recommend, my advice is to do a reality check. Do you really have the time, space, and energy for 2 dogs? Having 1 dog is a big commitment. Having 2 is an extremely big commitment. After that, do some research on how to have 2 dogs, be 2 dogs.
Post Reply New Topic